Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, up to today I have been using just some tiny little bowls for leila's food and water because she was so small. well the little terd picks up her water bowl or bumps it all the time and i got fed up with cleaning up water spills. I had already gotten her a set of stainless steel bowls that sit in a aged copper looking rod iron holder. It was so pretty i had to have it, haha. Anyway I put this in her pen today with the bowls both filled and she was so silly about it. At first she lunged and jumped back at it, then she'd growl at it. I have to admit it was quite entertaining. :D Only problem is she wont go near the food bowl. The water bowl she's drank out of. My theory is that because the food bowl only has a little bit of food (and a special treat to lure her) in it, there is a lot of shiny bowl glaring at her and she is afraid of the reflectiveness of it. The water bowl was full so that took away from the reflection. Now, what do i do to get her un-afraid of it? Just wait it out? The treat that was in it was pretty tantalizing, so idk. She got really really close but just when i thought she was gonna go for it, she jumped back. Help!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Personally, I would wait it out. At least for most of the day, she if she gets hungry enough. Make sure she knows there is food in there and that it smells A LOT, that will make it hard to resist. ;)
She's still young and is just unsure. It's good for her to get over her fears one step at a time as a little pup. Keep exposing her to different things and she will grow up to be your perfect chi!
These are good things to keep in mind with your new puppy! :)
http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=37457

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
When mine did that with SS bowls, I'd pat my fingers in it, and make all kinds of yay, yay, googly noises. Not loud, just letting them know it was okay. :lol: It took about 2/3 days for them to see that Mom loved those bowls so much that they should eat out of them. :lol: Persistence is the key. :wink:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If the bowls will stand alone, could you take them out of the holder and just place them in her pen for a few days first? It might help her learn to use the bowls, then you can add the holder.

Haha, I can just see her hopping and lunging at it. My mom's chi, Taylor, does that to things he is unsure about. Always cracks me up.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She still hasn't ate out of the food side. It is already in her pen, and i have put my hand in it and handed her pieces of food and she was like 1 millimeter from it, but still wont take food out of it. lol
It has a special treat type bone in it and she's still not buying it. She basically hasnt ate today except for a couple pieces i gave her. I even sat the bowl in her bed with her, she fell asleep with it in there. haha she's a terd!

·
Registered
912 Posts
lol. So she's drinking the water, but won't touch the food? What a weirdo. lol I truely believe that this is something she will and should get over. Maybe you should add a little honey to her water (I know TLI does this, I just don't remember how much...) to help keep her sugars where they should be since she's refusing to eat from her special bowl.
Good luck, I know it's tough when they're so stubborn!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She IS eating from the bowl now !!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Within 30 min. after my last post, she ate out of it. I gues she was so hungry she couldnt take it anymore lol. I think for sure it was the reflection. I'm so relieved! Good to know she got over her fear so quickly. Hope everything is this simple! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts