Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
House training going fairly well, (except for the odd time he goes on my bathmat!). I think this is because the breeder used big fluffy training mats and he's confusing my bathmat for one! The problem I'm having at the moment is he refuses point blank to go outside in the rain. This is unfortunate as it rains 95% of the time in England! I take him out and stand with him and he sits at my feet shaking and shrinks and looks pathetic then shoots through my legs and back indoors at the first opportunity. Repeat process. Shoots back indoors. Repeat process. Goes indoors and wees somewhere. How do I get round this one??

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
509 Posts
* looks out the window * I don't blame him, he'd drown LOL.
Can you try a pee pad or a litter tray indoors / or a sheltered area? x
I use Ugodog litter tray with a pee pad.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
A friend of mine told me the other day that in her backyard she had a place where she put a covering (I think it was a plastic cap) on a designated part of her yard.
She would take the dog out with an umbrella (holding him), would lift up the cap and the ground under was dry. She would hold the umbrella over the dog to do his business. A whole operation.. but it was either that or he would pee in the house. (he did not use wee pads).

That is fine I guess for people that have backyards. I don't know how that work for people that live in apartments.

Have you tried a little dog raincoat perhaps?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
We are the same, I've mopped up three accidents since yesterday because of this rain. When I do manage to coax her outside she goes under the garden table, clever girl.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right.... Just been in pound land and bought pee pads and a litter tray. Didn't want to get proper litter as I look after my 14 month old grandson 3 days a week and I know exactly what he will do with a litter tray! Will report back!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
369 Posts
I found that if I just stand there with him between my feet for a bit and let him "adjust" eventually he ventures out into the rain on his own. I do understand that stuff falling out of the sky is scary so I just take my time and try to make sure I am relaxed about it. If I am irked about the rain at all, he will not move, but if I act like I am loving it he will do his thing and we get back inside.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Stephanie I am like you! except I am probably a little "meaner!" I hustle him down the stairs and walk him to under the trees to start, then if he doesn't do his business quick enough, we walk around the yard til he does. Sometimes I have to take him back out a few times within a five minute period because I don't want to stand out in the rain!! The little stinkers can sniff "til the cows come home" in the rain and not care, but take them out to do their business and "no way" they want right back in! lol

Last night he actually barked by the back door to go out! Hurray!

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
My chi also knows that if it's raining and we're outside, all she has to do is pee and we get to run back in. I was also going to suggest a covered area for him if possible. I know the sound of the rain is scary, but I think for most chis it's the getting wet part that they don't like. I would try a rain coat and take him out while carrying him under an umbrella.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I kind of look at it as a he needs to go in every possible circumstance known to man and rain is one of those things that he is going to have to deal with on a routine basis. I don't do pee pads at all, so for us it is a have to not a want to thing. Now if I don't have to I will not take him out in an out right down pour hard kind of rain, but just a normal rain he can handle it cause he ain't a going in my house.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I am another meanie! Jaxx hates the rain and will run right back to the covered area in our apartment if I let him. The first few times he whined with every step because he didn't like the rain. Eventually he learned though that if he asks to go out and it is raining he can do his business quick and be back inside. I also do not use pee pads at all. I knew he didn't like going in the rain and thought about using them but I didn't want him to get confused when it wasn't raining and think he could go in the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts