Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly question, but how do I get Angel to keep still so I can pick him up? He comes when called, but when I reach out to pick him up he goes away! I pretty much always give him a treat when I call him and he comes.
If he is in his "hyper" mode, he runs - if he is in his sleepy mode, he just kind of moves away a little.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have you taught him "sit" yet? My dogs respond to the commands "come," which just means get over here into the zip code, and "front," which means sit directly in front of me and await further instruction (I can then pick Pablo up if I want to...not Kali, she's 45 lbs. LOL!) The "sit" is a good basic command for lots of purposes - picking up, going in an out of doors politely, meeting new people.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same problem and she will sit til I try to pick her up. I sit on the sofa and she always jumps up on my lap, then I have her. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think this little dog has the same problem as my chi. You can't lean over her/him. It is VERY intimidating to a tiny dog to have a "huge' human lean over them. Sitting on a couch is OK, 'cause you're not leaning over. Try offering a treat when you are 'leaned over' but don't pick him up. Go slow. When he is comfortable, slowly reach your hand underneath, and with the other hand offer him a treat. Don't pick him up yet. Finally when he doesn't run from this, try and touch his belly. Then finally pick him up. Slowly!!
Hope this works. My baby (3yrs old) has finally gotten so that much of the time she will let me do this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yogi does the backing away thing too. He will jump up at the side of the couch or the bed & whine wanting to be picked up but as soon as I go near him he backs away. I never thought of it being the leaning over thing, but that makes a LOT of sense Susan.

I usually just sit back & when he comes back I try again. It usually takes about 3 tries & he will then sort of turn to the side so I can put my hand under his ribs & scoop him up.

Like others have said, just take it slowly & let him "take the lead" so to speak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts