Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are snowed in and I have to force Nachos to potty outside. The snow is hard to keep up as it gets so high! I tried to put potty pads in the garage for him but that was a no go as he did not like that idea. So he goes outside and travels around the corner and then he comes back in and he starts crying in pain. His paws I assume got too cold.. how do I protect them? My hubby was pissed at me, but what do I do.. let him use the potty on the carpet? He always pees and then poos separately and when he goes running off he is, well pooing. Thankfully, the new food he is now eating only has him only pooing once a day. But, anyhow, what works best to protect their feet? His feet look so bare and sensitive, I can only imagine! This is my 1st winter with my new little guy..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Anything in the house you could use as makeshift booties? When it snowed here, I shoveled Jax's favorite poo spot so he could go but to be fair, we only got a few inches...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We shovel a path about 10 feet long so Draco and walk out and pee and poo...he likes to walk a little bit first. If you clear the snow in a little pathway, he should just go on the snow free area...I know deep snow is a pain, but once you clear it, all you have to do is remove the freshly fallen snow. You guys are getting a blizzard I know, do you have a picnic table or something you could drag close to the house so it stays kinda clear.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The snow here was blowing pretty bad and pileing up in front of our door. Hubby went out and kinda sholved a small place for potty. That helps alot. The first time I let them out it was belly deep by the door and only got deeper.
The heat doesn't bother my dogs feet. But they are usually on grass not like a hot blacktop.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
i put little socks on ninja he will not walk in boots at all! he still walks funny in socks but tolerates it otherwise he screams and lifts his paws outisde odd bc the other 2 never have a problem. you can get the socks at petsmart or for the time being make your own? or liek the others said shovel a small path with the storm my guys have been going in my driveway since we keep up with the plowing of it

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I feel ya about the snow and cold! Totally sucks! We just had a huge ice storm here today. I'm tired of it already! We're getting more freezing rain tomorrow... awesome. NOT. Anyways... like everyone said, definitely shovel out an area. I shoveled out paths all through our backyard so she could go all over. That's definitely a good idea. You could definitely try little boots, but I know some chi's don't like them at all. Roxy would not ever wear them, ever. SO ... what I got was this wax called MUSHERS. It's just a soft wax that you put on the paws. It helps prevent snowballing and keeps their pads protected from the ice and cold. You can also put it on their paws in the summer to protect from the heat!!! It's awesome. I wasn't sure about it at first... but it just absorbs into their pads. It last for about 4 days or so.. it's okay if they lick at their paws because it's non toxic and all natural! So, that'd be something you might want to try...

Musher's Secret. :)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico didn't do the boots either...I tried. He uses a piddle pad in the bad weather, it is always near to the back door. Usually I keep in in a back hallway--so he can go out just not "out". It is so cold now I have to have it in the back of the kitchen. I put it behind the bin so it isn't on show or anything. It is in the same general place. He is not happy with the snw and ice. He wanted to come for a walk last evening and was misrerable--wanted to be carried ;).

I will be so pleased to have this winter over with...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts