Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like I post a billion threads with questions, so I'm sorry! If I would have known I'd have so many, I would have asked them all in one big thread.

Bella can be as sweet as can be most of the time. And I am assuming it's because she's still so young, she just likes to play. She is 8.5 weeks and when she's not sleeping or sleepy (which is a lot) she is usually in attack mode.

I babysit 2 kiddos (2 & 4 years old) 2 days a week. Yesterday, every time I was on the floor changing the 2 year old's diaper, she was trying to bit my hands, elbows, shirt, just jumping and lunging while growling. Pretty much whenever she's not sleepy she wants to play, and once she starts mouthing and biting, she will start growling. She doesn't play bite the kids much, maybe a lil but not as hard as me. I'm assuming so because the 2 year old laughs. I will stop her though. She will kinda pounce towards kids/chase them and that scares them. But she really hurts when she bites!

Here's a video a few days after I first got her-

She does pretty much the same thing, but growls now, and bites harder cuz she has more teeth. What we were doing was kind of yelping when she bit us too hard, and it used to work and she'd stop, but now it doesn't even phase her. It's horrible, but when I was changing the 2 year old's diaper I had to put her in her crate, which was right next to me at the time, so I could finish. I know that is not a punishment spot, so it's defiantly not something I want to do, at the time though, I didn't know what else to do. If I am sitting on the couch, computer chair, or bed, if she bites to hard or keeps attacking me, I'll put her on the floor. She can now get onto the couch though, which then she can get onto me from the computer chair from the couch also.

I know she's a puppy, and she is teething and will probably mostly grow out of most of it after awhile. But what's the best way to start correcting this? She has 3 lil chew bones, a few lil animals she can chew up, and a couple toys for tug-a-war. She does play and chew all of them, she just prefers to chew on us. When I remove her from playing with me, I do give her something else to chew on. Is this all I can do?

Her yesterday.. I wouldn't have let her hurt the 2 year old by the way, when she got close I cut the video. But she has never hurt any kids yet, just likes to pretend she will, by pouncing towards them. Then they jump on a piece of furniture away from her.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Puppies - especially Chihuahua puppies - need a LOT of activity. However, they also need to learn as early as possible that YOU are the pack leader. They have to learn what's OK to chew, and what's not.

Try getting some Bitter Apple spray, and spray it on anything she chews on that she shouldn't.

There's nothing wrong with putting her in her crate when you need to change the baby. The puppy needs to learn there are boundaries.

If she is playing too aggressively, such as play biting, give her a good, authoritative, "NO!". Don't yell, just put some bass in your voice.

If that doesn't help, then you can just get up, and walk to another room where she can't follow. She will eventually learn that biting makes playtime end.

Be firm, but patient, and you'll have a well-behaved chihuahua before you even know it!

Good luck, and don't worry about asking too many questions. That's what this place is for!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The biggest problem with taking puppies from their mums before 10 weeks is they have very poor bite inhibition...so you are seeing that in your puppy. No one taught her not to use her mouth to explore the world, play, etc...so...she does. It is possible but difficult to train it out of them.

You can start out with the very firm "NO" and placing her away from you...but TBH lol, never once heard of that working. Some people say yelping and ignoring her best mimics what another dog would do but that's not true either...another dog would bite her back. Since you prrrrrobably aren't gonna bite your puppy lol, maybe try a small water bottle kept in your pocket and give her a little squirt when she bites. Some people think that is cruel but...its water, lol. I had quite a little biter/nipper...and the only thing that finally broke him of it was a water squirt.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
it also good opportunity to teach the kiddos what is ok and not ok with the dog.... they can learn to be pack leader. as long as bella hears the laughter she thinks it is OK and a game to play

does she have chewies, such as Bully sticks? when she starts biting 'trade up' to the bully stick...see if that works....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I put her away from me.. She just pounces back. She does this thing where she bites and whips her head back and forth. That's what hurts. Sometimes she does good and just mouths us and doesn't bite hard at all. I don't mind that, but should just stop her from biting/mouthing us at all, soft or hard? I don't want to confuse her.

I'll try a water squirt.. Lol, that may work.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I had to keep a little bottle in my pocket. It was a pain but it only took him about a week to learn it was a no-no. He's none the worse for wear, lol. But a lot of people aren't a fan of using a water bottle. I'd rather squirt than yell.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We used a water bottle for Draco also...it got to the point where if he started the naughtly behavior, all we had to do was pick up the bottle...and he would stop...we used a squirt type. Happily he also grew out of the human chewing.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We used a water bottle for Draco also...it got to the point where if he started the naughtly behavior, all we had to do was pick up the bottle...and he would stop...we used a squirt type. Happily he also grew out of the human chewing.
Susan always tells me to "bite" the puppy back dog-whisperer style by jabbing it on the side of its chest...they are so small and wiggly I find it almost impossible to do successfully LOL. But yeah, water bottle = miracle haha.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If Jax (5 months old) starts chewing on me, i end playtime by putting something in between us. If we're on the couch, its a pilliow. If we're in my room, he goes on the floor. It seems to help.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Hope does exactly what your girl does. We considered it just a part of puppydom.

We have gotten her a hundred chew toys, flossies, teethers, etc. but when we come home she has missed us and goes crazy for play. We play with her and have said no to her play biting but she just looks at us and wags her tail! The video below is her being reprimanded for walking along the back of the sofa like a cat. I know that she knows not to stand on the back of the sofa because when I come near, she hops right down and puts her ears back and sort of cowers. You will see her "backchat" for the reprimand. You will also see her "attack" a pillow that she has decided is hers. It honestly did make me laugh to myself because she is so cute!

She is a sweet, kissy girl but does have a TON of energy and loves to chase us, growl and lunge down and jump up and bark at us. We say she has only 2 speeds-FULL blast and off! To help with her energy, we are getting her a puppy...haha!

We say no to the biting, sometimes softly blow in her face (this actually stops it) but figure it is something she will outgrow and something we will miss when she is no longer a puppy! Puppy teeth, I will say, have nothing on weapons of torture, razors or needles-they are SHARP!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, most of the time what she does is pretty cute.

She barked for the first time yesterday. Not something I was looking forward to.. but it was soooo darn cute!!!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Since we had been used to our boy who was 13, her barking cracked us up. He barked for logical things-doorbell, someone dropped something, etc. She barks for no real reason. It is random and we find that funny. She will crouch down, growl and jump up and bark. Her whole body gets into it.

She has now taken to standing next to me and barking if I have not noticed that she pottied on her pad. I was excited about that because it showed me that she is linking the barking to communicating rather than just playing or barking at nothing at all like at a rug!

She mainly does the play biting if we are on the couch or floor. She is brave and can help herself right up on or right down from the couch so it used to work to say "no bite" and put her down. Now she just jumps right back up and gets noses, ears, my necklace or since I have shoulder length, curly hair-my hair! She tugs at it JUST like a baby!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... That's another thing.. I have really long hair. And she loves to attack it. Also if I wanna take a nap with her, I will have to cover all my skin, sometimes even my head from her with my blanket to keep her from getting me. Then as soon as I put the blanket down to see if she stopped being crazy, she will pounce on me.

I gotta get a little water gun or squirt bottle...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I added the video to the original post of her yesterday attacking the pillow. That's pretty much how she bites us. And she plays more rough with me then with my husband, what's the deal with that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have similar issues with Radley, although his favourite chew is toes. I have had to keep my Uggs on constantly when in the house, as it has been said puppy teeth have nothing on weapons etc.
I have tried the firm "NO", the ignoring, the yelping to this he did respond initially, but not so much now.
It wasnt so bad a few weeks ago but as he grows the bites, playful or not, start to hurt and my fingers are starting to resemble a well used pin cushion.
I will try the squirt technique and fingers crossed he will learn.

Whilst on the subject of naughty puppies, has anyone have any trouble getting a collar on their pup the first few times? Radley goes ape when you try and gets a little viscious, I am trying to make it part of his morning routine, but the attack mode stays...UNLESS daddy steps in then it calms down. Is this similar to Blondie87? He knows dad is the boss but is fighting ranks with me?

Thanks in advance!

PS glad its not just me :0S

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I got daisy at 8.5 weeks ad she was a nipper I was so upset by it and tried everything possible posted on here and got a bunch of advice! The water didn't work for us she just use to lick it and carry on haha I managed to poke her when she did it and she stopped!

It's so frustrating but you can teach them otherwise I suppose you all become like her littermates in training as it's the littermates and mum who teach them bite inhibition as kristi said

Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts