Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the thing.. hes 3 years old.. and his previous owners didint bother to teach him anything.. :(

I have read a few training guides (online) and they are helpful, but my problem is this: How do you teach a dog how to sit on command, when his default position is sitting? :confused:

any advice would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I taught Trixie the same way as Princess Ella.....she learned it quickly. After we mastered sit, I went right into down and paw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats what I remember reading heh. but when I bring out the treats, before I even say anything.. hes already sitting.

also in the guide I read, it says to train him from the standing position (as in me standing) and never kneel or get down to his level.. I am assuming this method is for larger dogs? should I still be doing that with a chihuahua?

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
how we were taught at dog training -

your dog has to be in the stand position next to your left leg

your lead is in ur right hand shortend it down so your right hand is close to their collar

place the flat of your left hand (with ur fingers closed together) on ur dogs back a little up from their tail

then the sequence goes -your dogs name - command of sit - push down with the left hand at the same time bring the right hand up towards your left shoulder and praise when ur dog is in the correct sit position

eventually through doing this several times a day they will learn the sit command

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've been wondering, not very seriously, how to teach my dog to stand. It's hard to teach sit and down without it, lol.

One difference that I learned, maybe from "Chihuahuas for Dummies", not sure, was to scoop her tail under her butt and press behind the knees to get a sitting position instead of pressing down on her back. It worked great. She'd allow her back end to collapse. Using the pressure from above, she just resisted.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I would suggest clicker training. I just started doing it and I wish I'd gotten into it sooner.

Since you can't lure your dog into the sitting position (since he's already sitting)...then maybe this would work: If you used a clicker (or you can just use a particular word such as "Yes!"), you can just sit and observe him while he's playing or whatever, and any time he does what you want (such as sitting), click and give him a treat. After awhile, you can tack on the command and say "Sit" as he begins to sit, then click and treat. Finally, after he gets used to the word, try telling him to sit first, then if he does, click and treat. If he doesn't, go back and work on the last step.

I like this way much better than trying to use any type of force or pressure on the dog to make them do what it is you want them to do. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
No_Smoking said:
Yeah thats what I remember reading heh. but when I bring out the treats, before I even say anything.. hes already sitting.
Exactly what Stewie does! Take the treat in front of his nose & move it towards you, so he goes towards it. He'll eventually be standing (which in turn you could use to teach him stand if you wanted), then you can teach him to sit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if he's sitting, to get him up so you can make him sit:D
lure him towards you across the room with an interesting noise or drop a small treat in front of you, he comes and gets it,you hold the next one over his face, but grasped so he can't get it, and slowly bring hand back over his back, he'll follow it back naturally into a sit, and while you do this,say the word sit, and instantly treat!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always heard about the clicking technique but haven't tried it. I will have to research it a little to better understand it.

One of the things I remember reading about in my research was to never push his butt down. I guess because that will teach him to expect you to help him each time you tell him to sit. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but it sounds logical so I have actually stopped doing it.

I never gave up trying, and through trial and error - leading him away from his "sitting" position with a treat is starting to work pretty well. I bought Nature's Recipe Training Treats (from PetSmart) and wow, he absolutely loves them! I brake up each piece into about 3 smaller pieces just to make them last longer, and I don't think Rebel minds much =)

So far so good.. but its odd, he still refuses to sit on cold surfaces.. we have linoleum in our kitchen and a little by our front door.. two places he just wont sit on heh.. kind of a pain because I try and make him sit before we go potty.. I will just have to keep him on the rug for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it!

chis rule said:
This is off subject, but I just have to say I love your public service announcement No Smoking. I've been smoke free for 6 1/2 years.
Thanks! I dont smoke and dont plan on it. My dad was a big time smoker but quit sometime ago.. I cant remember the date he stopped, but it must be at least 8 years now! p.s. for those that DO smoke, i'm not a "hater" - do as you wish, I dont hold grudges! although I may ask you to go outside to smoke! :D :D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts