Discussion Starter #1
just thought id ask this question
honey does toilet on her pad but i would like to train her to do it outside
so do i move her pad a few yards nearer door each day until its outside
anyone got ideas?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
well I moved my pad to the back door and then just took them out every hour or so when I was home and if the weather was warm I just left the back door open - the problem is that on a night and when we are at work they use it still and they are 1 year so I dont think I will ever get them too hold it while we are out - if you have any luck let me know your trick :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
In the beginning it is a hit and miss type thing.
You have to take her out when you think she has to go, think of a command you want to use, I tell my 2 to "Make peepees outside" and "make poopoos outside". If she is very young, take her out every 2 hours. When she does go outside praise her extensively.
"Good girl Honey, Good girl make peepees outside" keep repeating it.
If you see her start to go in the house tell her "NO peepees in the house" and scoop her up and take her outside.
Sometimes, if they are having trouble getting the idea, it helps to take some of her poopoo outside and put it in the yard while she is watching and tell her "Good girl make poopoos outside"
You have to be consistant and repetitious.
As they get older you can increase the time between going outside.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I found when training Auggie to go outside it was important to take him outside as soon as he woke up from a nap as he always had to pee then. And of course praising him to reinforce he should pee outside. :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all that info
anyway the whole family are taking a trip down england in dec for 2 days and were going to stay in a welcome break family room for 2 ngts so i think it would be easier to train her now to pee outside.
oh and heres another question
when your dog goes to bed at ngt do you take away her food bowl i was unsure about this as i used to with my big dogs
she always has drinking water near her in the ngt i was kinda worried due to chis sugar levels dropping in the ngt
my oldest daughter is diabetic but im unsure regarding my pup

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would say yes take the food up at night. Unless you don't mind getting up at 3 AM to take her outside LOL.
I don't feed my 2 after 7 PM. Then I take them out first thing in the morning, usually 7 AM and feed them as soon as they come in.
It is easier to train them to go potty outside if you feed them at specific times so you can take them out after they eat, except for first thing in the morning of coarse.
If she is still little you'll still have to take her out in between feedings to pee.
If she is over 2 lbs. I wouldn't worry about her being hypoglycemic. Just watch her in the morning, if she still doesn't want to do anything but sleep for 1/2 hour to 1 hour after you get her up and take her out then give her some nutracal or nutrastat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honey never eats all her food that i give her,im trying to balance the right amount out each time,lol
it seems to be trial an error i now give her a spoonful in her dish each time
sometimes she wont eat it all and leaves some
i tried her on the dried food an she loved it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I NEVER used puppy pads with Chiquita. In fact, I hate them!!! It's frustrating cleaning up messes, but I want them to go outside, not inside, at all! Of course, this is just my opinion, and some people have great success with these things, but I hate them. Chiquita will hold it all day that she is in her crate while I am at work, and I take her out first thing when I get home. Jose will learn too, with time, and when is bladder will allow, but for now, I wash his crate bed every night with bleach. This is how I trained my two. Just have to keep working at it, eventually, they will get it right.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
babyjane1968 said:
honey never eats all her food that i give her,im trying to balance the right amount out each time,lol
it seems to be trial an error i now give her a spoonful in her dish each time
sometimes she wont eat it all and leaves some
i tried her on the dried food an she loved it.
You are right! When they are puppys it is trial and error.
My 2 eat the dry food also, but I put a little Nurtacal on the food and a little water and mix it up. It's ok if there is a little left over, because if she eats it all everytime you would probably worry that you wern't feeding her enough! LOL

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I first got Bunker, I litter box trained him. Now, he goes outside. I would suggest that you put some of Honey's poopies outside, in the spot you want her to go. Dogs usually go in the same area. Walk her on a leash outside until she goes and praise/reward her when she does. Make sure you are using the recommended food portion on the bag (all foods are different). Bunker eats Iams small chunks, about 1/4 cup for breakfast and 1/4 cup for dinner around the same time every day. Therefore, he goes potty the same time too. Remember that they are the dog... they adjust to our schedule, not you to theirs. In the beginning, you can take the food away so that they know if they do not eat when fed, they have to wait till dinner. Crate training works really well too. Bunker's crate is always open and he is rarely punished but he is always in his crate when he wants alone time. They are special dogs with finicky personalities. So it is trial and error and helping them adjust to your life. Good luck and have a wonderful trip to England!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts