Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Punky is trained on wee wee pads. She will also go outside if I walk her and say "Go potty", but how do I train her to "tell" me when she has to go? Do I HAVE to move the wee wee pad outside and stop using it in the house? I took her for a visit the other day and she pooped inside. Has never done that at home. Always on the wee wee pad.
If for some reason the wee wee pad gets picked up and she has to go before a new one is down (rarely) She'll go where the pad should be.
Problem is when I'm visiting it's not always easy to walk into a house and place a wee wee pad, so I thought if she could cry and let me know she has to go when there's no pad it would be great.
MAYBE that''s a lot to ask of her huh?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love her name. Punky is just adorable. As for advice, watch how she acts right before she has to go. My oldest, Torie, tucks her tail and kinda hunkers down toward the ground when she's wanting outside. Then she goes to scratch on the door.

Love Torie, Binki, and Crys aka "Momma"

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't exactly remember where I read this, but I heard you can train them to ring a bell to let you know when they need to go. Like when you take Punky outside, ring the bell first. And keep doing this constantly. It's like classical conditioning, I believe the psychology term is called. :?: But anyway, when she connects the bell with going outside, she'll ring the bell to let you know she wants to go. The bad thing about it is that if you were to put the bell on the door, sometimes people will accidentally ring it and Punky will think it's time for her to go out. You can probably try those 'diner' type bells

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MsStephanie said:
I don't exactly remember where I read this, but I heard you can train them to ring a bell to let you know when they need to go. Like when you take Punky outside, ring the bell first. And keep doing this constantly. It's like classical conditioning, I believe the psychology term is called. :?: But anyway, when she connects the bell with going outside, she'll ring the bell to let you know she wants to go. The bad thing about it is that if you were to put the bell on the door, sometimes people will accidentally ring it and Punky will think it's time for her to go out. You can probably try those 'diner' type bells
I have a bell hanging on my front door and my Siamese rings it with her paw when she wants to go out.Never taught her, she just did it and has done so in every house we live in :) She reaches up to swat it. I wonder how short little Punky would do it? :D

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo just stares at me....or goes to the door...he gets weird so we can just tell...

I'm consistent with him though...he hasn't had an accident inside since he was 16 weeks old...

Then again he wasn't wee wee pad trained...

hmmm...

I know with my other dog...I just started taking the pad outside and diminishing the size of it until he was peeing outside only...and learned to let me know by pawing at me...

But dogs are different...I would study her and see what the behaviors are...
I imagine it might be confusing her?Outside/Pads?

I take Gizmo out every hour religiously...so he knows if he has to go he can hold it, because he knows mommy or daddy will take him out in a little bit anyways...

Do you crate her? I know when Gizmo is in his basket/crate and he has to go he whines...ever since he was 8 weeks

Gosh...I don't know if that helped ...

but Good luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I havent got Porsha completely potty trained yet but she will bark when she wants to go out the back to play. :D We just left the back sliding glass door cracked open like 3-4 inches (just enough that she cant get out but can look out ) and she started barking. :D she is doing preety well on potty training I dont use piddle pads or paper so i have to watch close when they are smelling the floor and walking around smelling like there trying to find something thats your biggest clue they need to go outside.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Taco whines and runs back and forth between the door and you until you take him out. It's VERY obvious, can't miss what he wants. I never used wee wee pads with him. Trained him to go outside right off. He was so easy to train. He's such a good boy, hasn't gone in the house for ages. He's inside all day while we're at work and holds it. Sorry, I can't help with the training to tell you, it's just something he started doing all by himself. When he was little, I took him out every hour or whenever he'd start sniffing around and I'd say "Go Potty, outside!" Then when he went outside, praise, praise, praise.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
On his own, Zeus just goes to the back door and sits there until I see him there. Sometimes if I don't see him in an adequate amount of time for him, he'll find me and then walk to the back door.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
All 3 of mine will scratch on the back door to go out. My problem is I don't know if they really have to go or if they just want to chase squirrels. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My little Flirt lets me know if she is sitting in my lap by jumping up on my chest and shoulders and trying to lick my nose, over and over and over and over again until I get the message. If she's not in my lap, she goes and sits close to the door (not real close, mind you, so I have to see her or she gets tired of waiting and does her business). Just when I think everything's okay, we have an accident. Today we had 2 in a row, usually it's just about one a week and they all happen because I get too busy and don't pay attention to when the last time she went out.

I tried the bell on the door. It scared her to death. I tried playing with her with the the bell, but at a little under 2 pounds the bell is pretty big for her.

I have heard that the bell that sits on top of the counter (you know, the one that you push when you want help at the service desk?) well, that's supposed to be good. I've got one and am going to try to start helping her use that. I don't know if it will scare her or not, but it is helpful if they let you know. I wish she would scratch the door also.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
if deano needs a wee he will come up to me and sit at the door, and if he needs to really go he runs arounds alot and then i go "do you want a wee", even if its not a wee he needs and his ears will stand on end and he'll run to the door! He was already housetrained when we got him :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts