Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Coco this cute t shirt yest wen i got her harness, she hates clothes wit sleeves so thought this wud be good cos its just holes for her legs to go through, she doesnt hate it as much as her sleeved clothes, but still picks at it n trys to get it off, how does every1 get their chis to like it/tolerate it or has any1els the same issue??

p.s I know its a lil big for her but she pics at the clothes that r snug on her too

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw she looks so cute in her little t-shirt. :) I have no problem with Roo and clothes, she doesn't mind them at all, but I really only use them in cooler weather or maybe for a photo. Pip is another story, he hates wearing anything. He won't pick at it, but the look on his face says it all. Plus he acts like he can't walk. He just stands there looking miserable and awkward and walks all wooden, heh. Therefore, I don't put any clothes on him. Well, with exception of in the Winter when he goes outside to go to the bathroom, then I put a sweater or jacket on him, but then I take it right off when he comes in. He just isn't comfortable wearing clothes.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hahahahaha she looks swamped in it.

I got Daisy in the winter so she had no choice but to put up with the sock i was putting on her (in my sig she's wearing a sock btw) she use to literally try and attack the clothing and me when i was dressing her so i use to use treats to coax her head through so once she put her head through towards the treat she got to eat it.. then with her paws i did the same.. Now i say lets get dressed and she puts her ears back and shoves her head through.

I'd get something that fits a bit better.. if its too big they can't walk in them.. also just ignore the fact that she's scratching at it or itching or tugging.. correct her if she tries to chew it off eventually they just give in. Get her use to wearing stuff now because when it gets cold she's going to need to wear things. But try a sock first :D I've only recently started to be able to find actual clothes that fit

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do u make a sock into clothes? would a sock fit ye? ill try that cos at least i wudnt mind her scratching at a sock, i just dont want her to wreck the clothes iv bought.
I hav a duffle coat that fits her much better but she wont walk in it, she`ll just fall on her side its really funny to watch, but i just take it straight off cos i feel sorry 4 her!
She can be very stubborn somtimes!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Don't take it off!! She'll learn that you will do that and then she's in charge not you ;)

Okay get a long sock like knee high or thigh high (i got loads from primark when she was little)

Measure it on her (hold it up to her) so it sits on her neck and finishes where you want it.. make sure she won't pee on it.. from the hair on her girls bits you can see what angle her wee comes out after she's had her next wee coz its wet

Cut the sock to size.. work out where her paws would go and just snip two small holes.. use your finger to make it bigger or it'll fray

Its really really chilly out today here so we're going to the school in clothing again just to keep madam warm as its like a wind tunnel waiting and she shivers

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't take it off!! She'll learn that you will do that and then she's in charge not you ;)

Okay get a long sock like knee high or thigh high (i got loads from primark when she was little)

Measure it on her (hold it up to her) so it sits on her neck and finishes where you want it.. make sure she won't pee on it.. from the hair on her girls bits you can see what angle her wee comes out after she's had her next wee coz its wet

Cut the sock to size.. work out where her paws would go and just snip two small holes.. use your finger to make it bigger or it'll fray
QUOTE]

Thats genius! y didnt i think of that!
Only problem is i dont think i hav any long socks, havnt had any since my school girl days! But will hav a look for some, thank u!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I can't take the credit Quigleysmom told me how when Daisy was tiny coz she was shaking out in the snow trying to pee!!

Hahaha normal ankle socks may work or your bfs socks just measure them up!! I have size 3 feet and i could use the foot part of normal socks on her!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here she is in her duffle, it fits so perfect that i think it will prob but too small for her in a few weeks :(
Shes getting better at wearing this one

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't take the credit Quigleysmom told me how when Daisy was tiny coz she was shaking out in the snow trying to pee!!

Hahaha normal ankle socks may work or your bfs socks just measure them up!! I have size 3 feet and i could use the foot part of normal socks on her!
Ha im a size 3 too! tiny feet!
I cant imagine any of my socks fitting over her belly, but ill try!!:)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She's as cute as a button, and looks adorable in her coat! It's a perfect fit. Maybe she likes them more snug? Mine don't prefer clothes, so I don't force them unless weather insists, or to take a quick pic. I recently made a sweater and hat for Lexie out of my Grandson's old baseball tube sock. For Jade I buy baby socks. They have Disney patterns and stuff. But they really don't wear them, it was just fun to make. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She's as cute as a button, and looks adorable in her coat! It's a perfect fit. Maybe she likes them more snug? Mine don't prefer clothes, so I don't force them unless weather insists, or to take a quick pic. I recently made a sweater and hat for Lexie out of my Grandson's old baseball tube sock. For Jade I buy baby socks. They have Disney patterns and stuff. But they really don't wear them, it was just fun to make. :)
Awe thank u! yes thats prob it, the t shirts too big at the mo! I love the little coat but she wont be able to wear it wen were walking cos theres no hole for the lead to connect to the harness, which is a shame!
May have to just keep it for my next pup!
I never really put her clothes on her cos she just huffs! but wud like her to get used to them 4 winter.
Cute im def gonna get some nice socks for her now!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The sock sweaters are nice for getting them used to wearing things. :) Someone also mentioned old sweater sleeves, but I find those too big. They hang in the neck, and are baggy. I just made this one (see how easy and fast it is?) to show you. You can try it with the sweater sleeve, but you'll probably find it too loose.

Anyway, here is the one I just made for Chance.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My mom's miniature schnauzer hated clothes at first, she would attack them and anyone trying to put them on her but I am not the softy my mom is so I just refused to give in; treats and firmness. Try the treat trick previously mentioned and then DO NOT give in, They usually already have us wrapped around their little paws, one more thing on is is not what you want in this case lol. But I LOVE the little shirt on her though, and she's adorable!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I would never get Cookie to as he's too long haired for that so doesn't need the warmth. Lola did as a younger pup when her hair hadn't come in but she didn't mind at all. If she had minded I would not have made her.

I don't know how Tillie feels about clothes. As she's a smooth coat I will try and put a top on her in winter just to keep the cold out but if she doesn't like it I won't force her.

BTW I know you liked the clothes Lola had as a pup, they were all custom made by my friend so if you want her details she do you some too. She has a shop.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Pip is another story, he hates wearing anything. He won't pick at it, but the look on his face says it all. Plus he acts like he can't walk. He just stands there looking miserable and awkward and walks all wooden, heh.
This just totally made me laugh out loud. How funny, i'd pay to see that. ;)
I think i would approach this just like anything else your dog balks at. For example I know alot of people on here have mentioned their dogs didn't like harness or walking on leads, but...you have to stick to your guns and let the dog know that throwing a hissy is not going to work and just continue to dress them if you so desire. I would ignore the silly behavior and give lots of treats/praise when they knock it off. lol :hello1:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just made this one (see how easy and fast it is?) to show you. You can try it with the sweater sleeve, but you'll probably find it too loose.

Anyway, here is the one I just made for Chance.

Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you. :)
Awe thanks for making one to show me thats so nice! so u just make holes for there legs with scissors than put it on? I will def try that and let u kno thanks!

My mom's miniature schnauzer hated clothes at first, she would attack them and anyone trying to put them on her but I am not the softy my mom is so I just refused to give in; treats and firmness. Try the treat trick previously mentioned and then DO NOT give in, They usually already have us wrapped around their little paws, one more thing on is is not what you want in this case lol. But I LOVE the little shirt on her though, and she's adorable!
I was afraid of some people saying not to make her wear clothes etc but im glad of ur response, she is just the most stubborn dog iv owned! So wen she starts throwing a fit wen i put clothes or her harness on i shud just persist and leave it on her till she gets used to it??
Awe thanks she does look cute with things on but wont sit still long enough for a good pic, shes too busy trying to get it off her!

BTW I know you liked the clothes Lola had as a pup, they were all custom made by my friend so if you want her details she do you some too. She has a shop.
Yes defo pm me her details, its all i could think about looking at her pics, wat a lovely wardrobe she has!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes ignore her when she goes off on one and do not take it off til she's got over her fit.. the reward can be taking it off her!!! They quickly get use to it and i believe for Chihuahuas in the winter its a total necessity.. and with our weather atm they need it.. I had a hoodie on Daisy today and she was still shivering like a leaf!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes ignore her when she goes off on one and do not take it off til she's got over her fit.. the reward can be taking it off her!!! They quickly get use to it and i believe for Chihuahuas in the winter its a total necessity.. and with our weather atm they need it.. I had a hoodie on Daisy today and she was still shivering like a leaf!!
Yes i will def wanna put something on her wen i can finally walk her, but that coat i have has no hole in it to put the lead on the harness, will i have to put the harness on over it??

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I put her harness over stuff as the holes are normally where the collar sits not the harness so i just extend her rogz one over it.. or get a vest type harness when she's bigger that serves as a coat.. OR hahaa there are hoodie harnesses yu can get that have hte d ring attached

1 - 20 of 37 Posts