Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some of you long-time raw feeders help me out with this?
A lot of people often ask me why I feed raw. I say it's because it's the best thing for my dog. They look at me like I'm crazy.

I'm afraid I really don't know how to explain it and educate to people other than saying it's what a dog would eat in the wild. They question why I don't just buy dog food since it says "right on the label" that it's 100% balanced. It's frustrated for me because while in my head I know why I'm doing it, I'm not exactly a persuasive speaker.

First off I do want to say I'm not against good quality kibble at ALL. Around here though, it's a very limited option. What I'm talking about is the people still feeding Alpo, Ol'Roy, Purina, Eukanuba and Iams.. the lower end foods. My own parents swear by it, some of my friends swear by it.

I wish there was a way that I could just give them the information without seeming preachy. I don't want to overstep my boundaries or anything at all, but so many people still just roll their eyes when you try talking to them about it. I have NO issues with someone choosing to still feed that even though they know the facts; that is perfectly fine as everyone has a right to choose what they want. But I don't think it's fair to them if they're making an uneducated choice, if they simply don't know any better. When I told my mom how much less they need to eat of raw since it doesn't have fillers, she looked at me like i was starving my dog trying to give it "less" quantity. >.<

So help me out here, how do you explain how raw is better than a 2 star food to someone who's fed it all their life without (to their knowledge) any problems?

Again, I'm not trying to debate between raw/kibble as I know there's advantages to both and everyone has a right to choose. I just want to know the best way to approach teaching someone about it who never thought raw was an option.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think your best bet is to judge your audience. If you think it's someone just asking to ask, give them the "I feel it's best for my dogs" and call it a day. If it's someone that wants to ask because they're curious, then perhaps you can elaborate.

A lot of dogs live long and happy lives on crappy food. Sure, it may not be the longest or healthiest life, but you can't win everyone and they're going to debate that to the end with you.

I occasionally get grief for the food I buy my dogs because it seems expensive to someone who doesn't understand, but if they ever had to see Godric on regular kibble....they may change their minds - liquid poop is enough to make me fork out the money for THK.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of dogs live long and happy lives on crappy food. Sure, it may not be the longest or healthiest life, but you can't win everyone and they're going to debate that to the end with you.
Lol I love how you worded this... I just think that, if people even gave one moment to listen to the facts, to truly know the seriousness of the situation, that they would be very willing to change. Who doesn't want to do whats best for them? Who doesn't want them living longer? I think if people KNEW their dogs could live longer and healthier lives, that they'd switch in a heartbeat. I just am at a loss on how to help people "know" that. It's not really that they debate (okay well yes, some will) but that I just don't know how to put it into words to explain to them why. Most people are willing to listen, it's just I don't know what to SAY that will make any sense to them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
With me I usually explain Pips health problems, but if they still push me about why Maisies fed it if she doesnt have any, I just say that "My dogs digestive system is identical to a wolfs, so its just logical to feed the same things they would eat in the wild - Besides this was I know exactly what my dog is eating!" - People tend to accept that kind of answer, especially after all the pet food recalls!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If someone asks me what I feed (and they seem to ask me regularly by saying 'wow, he's so shiny! What food do you feed?!).... then I saw he eats a raw prey model diet. If they look at me blankly, then I say "have you heard of it?" Most people will say no.

Then I usually say that after all the dog food recalls, I started researching different ways to feed my dog. I tried premium foods, home cooked, and finally settled on raw. Mainly because it was the healthiest and the easiest to balance! Cooking meat denatures the protein which requires lots of supplements to do it right. But raw meat retains all of it's nutrients so that's what I feed.

He gets mostly meat, a little bone, and some organs. That's it. He eats a varied diet but mostly beef, pork, and chicken. It's really a great diet and has lots of benefits. He's never needed a dental (and I show them his teeth) and no bad breath! (Obviously they can see his body condition and his coat condition so I usually don't say that). I say that his body processes this diet almost completely so there's very little waste. I don't have to go out and pick up poop anymore, as his poops just disintegrate in a rain. It's very eco-friendly. ;)

If they are still interested, then I usually say that most of our grandparents dogs out on the farm were fed a raw diet, or at least a cooked one. And they were much healthier for it. Most of us remember dogs living into their late teens. You don't see that much anymore and most dogs end up with cancer, kidney disease, etc. Dog food has only been around about 50 years.

I usually bring up the cereal comparison if they are still hanging in there. ha. You could eat Total cereal and probably survive and be relatively healthy. After all, it's "balanced" and has 100% of your daily quota of vitamins/minerals. That's what dog food is. Processed foods have to have the vitamins added back in because they are processed so heavily. Fresh foods don't need that. The vitamins and nutrients are there in the food. Now think how much better and how much more enriching your diet is when you can eat a variety of fresh foods and not cereal 3 times a day! That's how I feed my dog. :)

If people are STILL interested, then I give them a few websites to check out or just tell them to google prey model diet or join the yahoo group 'raw feeding' to learn more.

If you basically answer their questions and give brief, concise answers - you aren't going to come across as 'preachy'. Just give your experience. Let the health of your dogs tell the story. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts