Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking online at different chihuahua breeders that are near where I live, just for future reference. I can't get a chi right now but hopefully will soon. I was wondering how you can tell if the breeder is any good? and how much do the chi's cost usually? I'm looking for a Chocolate/black and tan short hair female :) that's my dream chihuahua :) thanks for any information. I'm still learning.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
You will probably expect to pay upwards of $450 to $1000 for a really nice pet. It varies by breeder. Some good breeders sell for $3-$400, but, MOST do not, so I would say on average do expect in the $500-$700 range :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah ok, thanks :) I LOVE your siggy, your dogs are really cute! Whenever my boyfriend and I are both financially able to move in together i'm going to get a chihuahua :) I want one but my parent's dont want any more pets. We have a cat right now. So I have to wait. So in the mean time i'm trying to learn all I can and possibly find some decent breeders in the area to look at for whenever the time does come when I'm able to get one.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I think it definitely depends on where you're at, too.

While some people are very against online adds; there ARE quality breeders that will advertise that way. DO follow the guidelines to make certain their responsible; but looking on places like ebayclassifieds (kijiji) can help you get a good idea of what to pay in your area.

I'm in IL and it's not at all uncommon to find a litter of quality bred chi pups for between $100-$300. But there's also a LOT of them around here; so the price needs to be competitive. That said I also live barely an hour from the 2 largest cities; so with the increased population you have more people breeding.

So, take into consideration your geographic location when looking for a pup. If you have a good way of transportation; then keep your eye out for places further away that while it may cost money in gas; the lower price of the dog could even it out. You'll have more options that way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't live too far from Dallas, Texas, I just don't really even know where to look online for breeders. I found a few on the i think AKC website, i can't remember now. I think I've heard that just because they are in the AKC it doesn't mean they are good breeders though. Not sure if that is right or not.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I would try a Chihuahua rescue. I just googled them in Dallas and it looks like they have alot available.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Finn and I agree with Zoey's mom--please consider a rescue organization, too. You could even "foster to adopt." That's how Annie joined our permanent pack. I was Annie's foster Mom, and she and Finn fell in love, and so she's now with us forever. If you are just looking for a loving companion (rather than a show dog), please consider a rescue chihuahua. We are taking in another on Monday from a slew coming in from the shelters--there are so many loving dogs needing homes. sigh.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
On puppies--yes, they often do have puppies from pregnant dogs that come to the rescue, BUT they often do not advertise puppies to the general public. (Annie had a litter of pups when she came in.) I would start contacting rescue groups now and working with them. You are truly saving a life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just exploring all of my options right now, Like i've said in the original post, I may not be able to get one for another year or more, It depends on when my boyfriend and I are financially able to move in together.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Be careful around Dallas. We're near Houston and there are TONS of puppy breeders that pump them out like crazy to turn a buck near the bigger cities - especially during holidays.

Make sure you go over the article and set up your checklist and such. Chihuahua rescues are also great places to start, I know you want a puppy and you may come across one but, everyone needs a good home so it's worth a check, and generally speaking that'll be less expensive than buying from a breeder - not that i'm advising you to pay less, just saying they needs homes too.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's great that you're taking time to explore the options and aren't ruling out rescue. I see all the photos of the gorgeous puppies on this site, so well loved and cared for, and sometimes it's hard to then go and take in a rescue baby, especially one in bad shape. Oh well. Whatever way you go, i am sure your little one will have a loving home.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts