Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to how some people prepare the chi's for winter time. Do you simply use sweaters? A jacket? Do some chi's refuse to go out in the cold?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
We get coats, jumpers etc in - Both have a fleacy top to wear, and Pippi has a coat. Maisie has one too, but it doesnt fit too well

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't know if it's just because my dogs are so small, but any kind of coat just immobilizes them. They simply won't move! So they have lots of sweaters, plus over top of those I have harnesses for them that I bring out in the winter because they cover much more of their bodies than the Puppias do, so it adds a extra layer of warmth. Mine are pee-pad trained so I don't HAVE to take them outside which I'm grateful for when it snows. Jazz isn't so bad, but as soon as Tango steps into the snow, he just.....stops. Won't budge. Lifts one paw at a time and licks it, or shakes it off, throwing me the most pitiful looks you've ever seen lol!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We'll do sweaters or sweatshirts when we take them anywhere or outside for a walk. Otherwise they don't wear anything extra. They are doggy door trained to go potty outside (they have an enclosed area **with a roof & walls** just outside the doggy door & a fenced in area off of that). The only one who sometimes won't go out to potty is Maya but we're still working on that since this is our first winter with her. She does it with rain as well even though she has dry shelter to potty in. :roll: But the rest of my crew are great about using the doggy door to potty no matter what the weather is. If it's super cold...they just make their potty trips a lot quicker. LOL And we're in Maine so it gets really cold! I feel fortunate they don't really mind the extream temps but they were raised in it so I guess they adjust. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey usually wears a sweater/sweatshirt & a coat, in additon to having a microved rice 'kozy' matt in her carrier with her when we go out in the winter. My little dogs are pad/litter trained so they don't have to go outside in the snow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you :) i guess I am a little protective with my chi and try not to take her out much but she loves going on walks...and shes on the small side so i completely agree with the "immobilizes them". The big coats make me think....wow my dog looks like a star fish lol

thank you for everyones feedback <3

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have sweaters for Lilo that she wears if we are going to be outside for any length of time such as for a walk or agility practice or just for outdoor play. If she is going out to potty she goes out just as she is, no sweater or anything. She just does her business quickly and then comes back indoors!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Wow I guess I'm lucky where I come from. We don't get snow here but if we go for a 2 hour drive and up the mountain there is snow we went there last winter but didn't take honey I might take her this year for a day trip!! honey normally wears a coat or jacket and she has a Parker too.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
we have 100 coats lol and 200 sweaters ;lol ok I exaggerated a bit but pretty close! Ninja wears socks in the snow otherwise he will scream and pick up his feet and not go pee or poo outside! Also he has paper thin ears so if it's really nippy out I tie a sock around his head so his ears are covered he will not wear the hood on his jackets lol.

Baby-Love and Prada just wear jackets Baby has a nice thick fur coat and so does Prada lol my kids are spoiled little brats :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I dont have to do much for Adam and Hannah. Being a long haired Chi and a Chiweenie they dont even need coats for walks and are quite happy up to their ears in snow totally naked!!
Heidi has a very short thin coat though and we go through stages of coat, jumper, and t shirts. I try to layer her clothing as then it tends to avoid that bulky stuffed toy look! Although she wont usually walk for more then about half an hour in really cold weather.
TBH last year I had more of a problem with ice then cold. They didnt get a walk for about 2 weeks coz I couldnt leave the house without falling over and dint want to slip and crush them!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts