Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have said before, Baxter is a LOT of dog packed into a tiny 8lb body. If you haven't read my intro thread, my Baxter is now an almost 9 month old Chi/Pekingese mix pup. He has a lot of energy..if we had a yard, he'd run around in circles all day long if we let him..lol. We take him for 1 long walk per day, and 2-3 short potty walks. We take him to the dog park as often as we can, because he loves running, chasing, and playing with other dogs and it tires him out..this only turns out to be maybe once a week because it's a hassle taking him on the train or bus, we don't own a car. We visit my dad and step moms house every few months where he plays with their dogs and gets tons of zoomies out in their large yard..But mostly his exercise/stimulation comes from his walks, going up and down the stairs, playing fetch, and learning tricks. I just don't feel like he's stimulated enough, he always wants to eat something or get into something he's not supposed to..like the trash..or he'll jump on tables/desks..he jumps HIGH. His new thing is trying to eat our hardwood floors. I think he maybe has anxiety problems..or obsessive behavior? He goes nuts when we put our coats and shoes on, because he doesn't want to be left alone..so we put him in his crate..and he whines & whines until he thinks we're gone. As soon as we get back, he goes nuts again until we let him out of his crate. He has also learned some human language..lol..if someone says "outside" he will bounce up and down until you take him out..or if you ask him if he's hungry he'll sit by his bowl and whine. We got him at 11 weeks old, and used the crate to housebreak him, he's perfectly housebroken and now is only in the crate for maybe 1-2 hrs a day most days. He doesn't "hate" the crate..he just hates being alone..I have started feeding his meals in his crate, and he gets frozen pb kongs to keep him occupied sometimes. He's very snuggly and loving when he's tired, don't get me wrong..he's the sweetest thing ever..I just want to make him happy/sane. What kinds of things do you do with your chi's to keep them busy, if you have an active one?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have you considered getting Baxter a playmate? Pedro (a Chi/Cairn terrier mix) was about to kill us before we got Gracie. Now, they run all that excess energy off together.

Both are high energy dogs, Pedro is 3 years and Gracie is 7 months, but they spend alot of time racing up and down the stairs, and we play 'fetch' with them alot. They wear each other out the rest of the time, and go outside for a potty walk several times a day. In warmer months, we take them for a lengthy walk, but Gracie is so cold natured that it's just not humane to take her in the winter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered getting Baxter a playmate? Pedro (a Chi/Cairn terrier mix) was about to kill us before we got Gracie. Now, they run all that excess energy off together.

Both are high energy dogs, Pedro is 3 years and Gracie is 7 months, but they spend alot of time racing up and down the stairs, and we play 'fetch' with them alot. They wear each other out the rest of the time, and go outside for a potty walk several times a day. In warmer months, we take them for a lengthy walk, but Gracie is so cold natured that it's just not humane to take her in the winter.

Yes we have! A puppy would be annoying right now, as I really don't feel like doing the housebreaking thing all over again..and all the extra work that comes with having a new pup.. we have checked out shelters and the only small dogs we were able to find so far just wouldn't be a match for him. They're on the old side, and Baxter tends to force his friendship on other dogs and they wouldn't be able to put up with him lol. We did dog-sit a little terrier mix for about a month and it was great..they definitely wore each other out. We do have a ferret, but their playtime is short-lived because Baxter starts getting too rough, too fast. I mean, he doesn't try to hurt him or anything, but Rocko the ferret doesn't appreciate being humped and slobbered on by obnoxious puppy. I know what you mean about the cold, but Bax could care less about it..he's only picky about the rain. When we feel its too cold we'll bundle him up in a jacket or sweater, or just let him out to potty and play more inside games..he's only picky about the rain. He'd rather hold it all day then get rained on..but at the same time he LOVES taking baths/showers and playing in the water..lol.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I never noticed my lot being over the top or too active. Probably coz I only had 1 for a couple of months!!
More Chi's was def the answer for me!!:D
My 3 really keep each other entertained. Although I cant really identify with the problem of hyperactive pups though. If my lot are bored or understimulated they just go to sleep until they have something to do. They are just no trouble at all, bless 'em!!;)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I only have 1 chi and she gets excited when I get ready to leave. I don't crate her; she's 5 yo. I just tell her I'll be back in a little while. I'll lay on the floor and play with her and act like I'm tryiing to get her and she'll run through the house at full speed. I also have a yard that I take her out in, but it's snowy & cold, so she don't like to stay out.
Have you thought about rescuing an older chi instead of getting a puppy?
Dogs are very smart & it don't take them long to learn our language. Like children, chis love a routine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My crew play together so they will wear one another out. Also, we have a large fenced in backyard, so when weather permits, they enjoy chasing each other. Inside, I integrate training into daily activities plus getting them hyped up with a variety of toys. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have three cats who like to play, one is a Siamese with a diabolical sense of humour. :evil3: You should see them all when they get going, playing chase and hide and seek around the furniture! Plus, my house has three floors. They definitely keep Fifi pretty busy!

My Greyhound just snores in his bed in the corner and ignores them all. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Well, we have four monsters so they can all play together. We go to the dog park daily and try to take them with us when able. We also have tons of puzzle toys for them. We have chews and "obstacle courses" (tunnels, cat crawl through).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts