Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked him up today from the humane's society and they didn't know how much to tell me to feed him.

So my brother and I were feeding him a handful of kibble mixed with this soft food stuff my sisterinlaw feeds her 10 month old dalmation, who by the way scared my puppy :x .

Please if you know an exact amount like 1/2 a cup or a full cup or two handfuls....let me know.

I'm brand new to this whole small puppy thing and he's only 2 months old!

Oh yea...for give me for any stupid questions....I've only seen big puppies raised....irish setters and dalmations.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hi there, congratulations on your new puppy!
I got Poppy at 10 week sold and I also wasnt sure how much to feed her, but my vet told me this; a little puppy needs to eat about 3-4 times a day and as for the ammount...he told me that you should give a portion that is equal to the size of the top of the puppy's head! It sounded weird at first, but if you put a circle of kibble on a dish that is roughly the size of the top of its head, i.e, the space between its ears and down to its forhead...it seems about right. as the puppy grows, so does the serving size!
I give my little one this ammount mixed with about 2 sponfuls of pedigree puppy pack food (wet) and mix it all together. She is doing really well on it and gaining weight at a good rate.
I have now cut her down from 4 times a dy to three as she seems to only need that now.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
70 Posts
After reading this, I feel better that I have been feeding my lil one about the same amount. At first I was giving her about a grabful-size serving. After noticing how much she was pooping, I reduced it by a little more than half. That is pretty much equal to what Camilla King has described. My lil one is almost 5 weeks old and I have been giving her the Royal Canin brand for babys/minis. Its dry food. Question Camila King, you mix dry and wet for your chi? Is that better for mine for her age? I was advised to move her to something else after 2 weeks (she'll be 7 weeks old then). What would be a good brand to give my Dezi? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew!

I'm not doing it wrong then.....I'm use to feeding three big dogs....they get about a cup when they are puppies.

So since I'm mixing it with this "entre for dogs" meal stuff I'm feeding him a good amount, handful is the size of his head.

Right now he's sleeping so when he wakes I'll feed him again......lol.

I feed him before work, hubby feeds him when he wakes up, I feed him when I come home from work and about 8pm eastern time.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
alc252dm said:
After reading this, I feel better that I have been feeding my lil one about the same amount. At first I was giving her about a grabful-size serving. After noticing how much she was pooping, I reduced it by a little more than half. That is pretty much equal to what Camilla King has described. My lil one is almost 5 weeks old and I have been giving her the Royal Canin brand for babys/minis. Its dry food. Question Camila King, you mix dry and wet for your chi? Is that better for mine for her age? I was advised to move her to something else after 2 weeks (she'll be 7 weeks old then). What would be a good brand to give my Dezi? Thanks
I mix a little wet stuff with the dry for Poppy because I just think its easier for her to eat that way. she is still only 12 weeks and she seems to eat it better than just dry on its own...sometimes I give one meal of just dry or just wet, but I figured that the nutrients in the kibble would go down easier if mixed with wet and it sems to work. As she gets older I will probably not mix them up. Also, for breakfast, I put the kibble on her dish and mix it with hot water and let it stand for afew minutes, it becomes like a thick porride consistancy and she loves that first thing...this is just my way, not sure if its the best way but if it works...so I do it! I think its a case of trial and error at this age! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it works for you, I'll try and see if it will work for me! The worse thing that can happen is that Dezi will hate it and not eat it. I'll try the warm water thing tomorrow morning before her and I get on our commute to work. BTW, how is her stool?

Camilla King said:
alc252dm said:
I mix a little wet stuff with the dry for Poppy because I just think its easier for her to eat that way. she is still only 12 weeks and she seems to eat it better than just dry on its own...sometimes I give one meal of just dry or just wet, but I figured that the nutrients in the kibble would go down easier if mixed with wet and it sems to work. As she gets older I will probably not mix them up. Also, for breakfast, I put the kibble on her dish and mix it with hot water and let it stand for afew minutes, it becomes like a thick porride consistancy and she loves that first thing...this is just my way, not sure if its the best way but if it works...so I do it! I think its a case of trial and error at this age! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed that as well this morning.....got up 10 minutes earlier for work and put a little water in his bowl with the food.....he gobbled that right up.

Now the problem is I just caught him spitting out CAT FOOD! our cats food is down on the floor all the time but I've been teaching him not to eat it by clapping my hands loudly to startle him, tell him no, and direct him to his food that is in the kitchen not in the dining room like the cats.

Works except he does like to taste it......going have to pick the food up now...lol.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Her poop is fine...just the right consistency...hope this is helpful, as you say, the worst Dezi can do is turn up her nose! I think I liked the idea of breakfast "porridge" bceause it seems comforting and after all, they are babies! Let me know what Dezi thinks! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
OOOPS....I forgot to do this. Me and her overslept and I just gave her the usual which she gobbled up fast. She eats more and finishes her food in one sitting first thing in the morning. She eats less and takes a few sittings to finish the same amounts during the day. I'll make sure to do this tomorrow and will report back.

Camilla King said:
Her poop is fine...just the right consistency...hope this is helpful, as you say, the worst Dezi can do is turn up her nose! I think I liked the idea of breakfast "porridge" bceause it seems comforting and after all, they are babies! Let me know what Dezi thinks! :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I made Dezi the breakfast "porridge" this morning. At first she was eating it and then a min later, she left her bowl! I tried to take her back and see if she's going to eat some more but she didn't like it. I dumped everything out of the bowl and gave her just the usual dry food she's been eating and she gobbled it right up! I guess my lil Dezi isn't into porridges. At least we tried it once. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts