Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruiser is acting very sluggish today. Now, for him it's hard to tell because he's not a happy go lucky dog. Even in the morning, he doesn't even get up when we do. He is in the kitchen when I am getting the kids ready for school, so it is hustle bustle and he just raises and eyebrow and goes back to sleep. So, it's hard to know with him. He didn't eat his dinner last night and showed no interest even in table scraps. He is just laying in his bed (which, again isn't uncommon) but didn't jump up onto the couch like he normally does. I thought maybe he had a split nail as he was definitely due for a trim and while they were long, they seemed ok. He didn't pull away when I trimmed them any more than normal. He did eat one dog treat so I don't think it's his mouth. How do you know when to take to the vet and when they are maybe just a little under the weather?
Thanks.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its a tough call to make. I am not one to run to the vet at the drop of a hat only b'c it's dang expensive here and they normally can't tell me anything I couldn't already deduce myself. I take them in for bleeding and for bumps.

They can catch cold like we can...as well as sometimes just not feel their 100% best, and have "blah" days. I would say if he doesn't eat today, definitely get him in. Otherwise, I bet he will be just fine if there doesn't seem to be any blatant indicators he isn't well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My Lozier has these days... Oddly enough, it's as often as once a month (Hubby likes to say she's PMSing...) and she just has an "off" day. She will sleep all day, and even refuse meals. If she doesn't ask me to go outside and/or it lasts more than a day, I take her to the vet on the second day.
For her though, usually it means she will have double energy the next day. It's like she's just playing catch up or something! :)

Hope that Bruiser is ok and just having a lazy day. Wishing you well good boy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i normally do the watch and see. It tends to get a bit expensive if I ran them in for everything. Just keep your eye on your baby and if something just nags at you and really worries you run him in. If he continues not to wanna eat, ponder it. Thats normally a major thing for me. But i do give it more than one day. Mebbe try and give him something super special that he doesn't get every day and see if he eats that. If he does, it's probably just an off day. My guys aren't always the happy go lucky kind either and that does make it very hard to judge if something is really off or if they are just being in a mood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Chuy gets like that when he isn't feeling well. He gets very lethargic and doesn't walk around like my little "shadow." There can be so many things wrong or just nothing at all, so it's always worth at least calling the vet.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How is Bruiser feeling now??

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your Chi is not eating and is acting differently for more than a day, go to the vet. Being small, they can go downhill fast. Not eating for more than a day is serious.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree.
I waited two days, and it was two days too late.
If your dog doesn't eat, and seems lethargic, I would bring him in after one day.
JMO. He can't take himself there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts