Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can never emphasize enough to people how important it is to a dog's well-being to get enough exercise and mental stimulation. So I wondered if people could share their techniques and how you make it a "fun" thing for your dog (and yourself!). I'm always looking for ideas to pass on to others. So please, go ahead and share your Exercise/Play Routine; how many times a day, how long each play session or walk is. Are there any tips that you've found motivated your dog more than others??

And a secondary question for those who often use "puzzle" toys; what kinds would you recommend for a deaf/blind dog that would stimulate her mentally, yet still be grasped by smell/taste/texture only? It will be a while before we introduce them to Eden which gives me time to look out the best ones and save up. We've been taking baby steps and she's adapted so well.

Thank you! =D:daisy:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Mine get half hour walk in the morning,Lily loves a chase so have to do that round the garden i'm lucky as i have a very large garden,she used to have fun with our cat who is no longer with us,they would run upstairs,under the beds .Kong is a good one for blind and deaf dogs stuffed with biscuits etc

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
My girl gets a walk in the late afternoon before it gets dark every day. Basically most of the day we are doing something with her because she is in the same room with one of us. She will bring her ball, I will throw the ball, she brings it back, I throw it again. If I am working she will bring it, drop it, I will kick it and over and over. She never gets bored. We talk to her alot too.

We hide something from her and tell her to find it..she loves that. Training time..oh its just an endless cycle. You could say that our life revolves mostly around her now ha ha. Oh food is her best motivator and one particular yellow ball (like the one in the picture) She loves that thing.

She also likes if we lay a damp bath towel somewhere where she will dig at it like mad..her little paws flailing so fast you can just about see them.

Simple things.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx gets several walks during the day that equals out usually to 5 miles a day.
Usually during the day we play fetch, tug of war, and hide and seek. This happens several times during the day as well and usually lasts about 30 minutes each time until Jaxx gets tired out.
We also take him Disc Golfing with us weather permitting a couple times a week. He usually gets let off the leash and we always have a tennis ball in our bag so that he can play fetch while we play disc golf.
Jaxx also has a little flexible holey ball by JW that we put a piece of dried beef liver in and he has to figure out how to get it out in order to get it. He loves that if you pick up the ball and ask him if he wants beef liver he starts dancing around. We started doing this because I couldn't find any puzzle toys that were not for big dogs in the pet stores and I was afraid to order one on line and have it be so big he couldn't use it. So we made our own puzzle kind of.
I would love to know what type of puzzle toys everyone else has found because I would love to get Jaxx some.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for this posting topic, I'm curious as well as to how to entertain such a tiny baby when I get one. I have two dogs that LOVE fetch, and my bloodhound recently learned how to play, too. (Not bad for being 4 yrs old learning a new trick huh?)

Do any of you have die-hard fetch dogs? I'm hoping I can teach my future puppy fetch but I don't know how to make it their passion. Out of several dogs only two of mine had that passion, the others were mildly amused at best and I am hoping for another avid fetch playing dog as its so helpful for exercising. (Ok so I am lazy sometimes)

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
191 Posts
In reference to puzzle toys, do you play What's In The Box? My Sheltie loves that game, he is super smart, always enjoys being challenged. It's cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
We just walk, and play in the house. Odie likes chasing something if I throw it (technically not fetch because she only brings it back half of the time) and she also terrorizes the cats once in awhile and one of them loves it and will play with her. I'm a runner, and if I get out and get my exercise and Odie doesn't, that's just not fair. I wouldn't really say that it's "fun", but necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
For exercise we walk between 2-3 miles a day unless it is raining. She also like to do bursts of running when we walk. We run several times in a walk until she poops out. Mentally, I think going places and riding in the car is great stimulation. I just take out the car seat and Lady dances around and runs to the car. She is typically on full alert in the car, looking all around (unless it is long trip and she eventually sleeps)! She also loves to go for bike rides, riding along in her pet bike basket while I pedal!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Mine get a couple of walks per day, depending on my schedule. They also get to run crazy in the backyard 3-4 times per day. We play fetch and chase in the house too. I will sometimes take them with me to the pet supply store to get food also, it gives them some socialization experience.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Honey gets 2-3 walks a day, 20 minutes or so in the morning, 45 minutes at lunch and then about an hour in the evening - she goes off leash for about half an hour on this walk. She loves to play - tug of war, fetch (sometimes even bringing it back!) and we still do a lot of training, that takes it out of her! A few times a week, she is looked after by friends and family, and the kids wear her out, she comes home pooped! :)
As for puzzles, she doesnt like searching for things round the house, she gets bored with that and just gives up! She likes if i put loads of tissue paper in a box and hide treats in it, she takes great pleasure in ripping it all up :)
I also bought her this toy - she loves it when i get this out as she knows she can get all the treats! x

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Kat, thinking about toys for beautiful Eden, I was wondering if you have scented toys where you are? Some of the stuffed toys by me smell lovely (Honey has a vanilla scented little cupcake - cute!) and there are tennis balls that have a mint or peanut butter scent.
And what about baby toys, you know the ones with a kind of 'krinkly' texture to them rather than just stuffed normally? Again by me, there are some that have krinkly bits, bobbly bits etc etc on the same toy.
I dont know if Eden is totally blind, but what about light up balls/toys? xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do any of you have die-hard fetch dogs? I'm hoping I can teach my future puppy fetch but I don't know how to make it their passion. Out of several dogs only two of mine had that passion, the others were mildly amused at best and I am hoping for another avid fetch playing dog as its so helpful for exercising. (Ok so I am lazy sometimes)
Yes, my chihuahua LOVES playing fetch! I taught it to her by accident, but I'm so glad it happened since she's a riot when she plays. She has toys which are almost her size (since she's only 3 pounds), and I toss them and she runs after them then stands there trying to find ways to grab onto the things and drag them back.

Anyway, the way I "accidentally" taught her to play fetch was by trying to train her to "drop it". I guess she learned that dropping things at my feet would get her a treat, so I gradually threw the items further and further away, and thus "fetch" was born (or as I call it with her, "Go get it!")

·
Registered
864 Posts
We do daily hour walkies, and tug (Stella LOVES tug). I'll put one end of a squeaky rope in my pocket and she will grab the other end, trying to get it out, and that's how I get my morning chores done... granted my pants are much looser by the end of this game, but it keeps her occupied.

Treat balls are a big hit here as well.

Stella always loved playing with those ball track cat toys -- eventually she figured out how to get the ball out and roll it around the house :rolleyes: , so she had to be very well supervised (mostly so we didn't lose the ball).

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I'm not always able to walk them. But they LOVE fetch and it can go on till my arm falls off. Thank god for my son because they all run around in the yard for hours and we have a large size yard. We also play hide and seek. My son will hide and I tell the dogs to go find him and than they get praised when they do find him.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I walk Emmie daily, she has LP and vet says to keep her exercised. Bailey gets most of her exercise in the house, she is not too fond of outside walking.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine love their walks and get at least a mile a day - on different footpaths through the woods to vary their senses and experiences. We quite often pass horses on the footpath which is erm, fun! ;-)

Romeo loves to be chased because he's hyperactive and he makes Paco sprint chase him around my living room in between walks!!!

Romeo has his treats in a 'Whiskers' cat puzzle ball which he has to push around for the treats to fall out. I can vary the size of the fall out hole which he has worked out how to open which is good for his little brain. Paco hasn't worked out how to do this and isn't interested in it.

Romeo also loves to watch children's television with all the bright colours and funny noises - but again Paco isn't interested in this.

Both mine love chasing their little balls and we have a mini blue kong rubber thing which they love. Sometimes they'll drop it in my hand for me to throw other times the game is me chasing them to get it off them.

Romeo has a little foot stall with a tea towl on it which he loves to run underneath with the post when it comes through my letter box!

We play all sorts of games where I put a treat under a cup and two cups without a treat and they have to work out which cup the treat is under by shuffling them about.

Oh ... and I lay on the floor pretending to swim and they jump all over me and we have crazy play to try and ware them out!!!

They have to work together to earn their treats and they have to 'sit' or 'down' together in unison - increasing the number of seconds before they get their treats.

I'm lucky enough that I work from home (part time) and whilst I'm working Romeo sits on my head!!!!! and Paco on my lap. They both instinctively know when it's 3pm, (my finish time) as they go mental and leap all over me!

I try to involve physical and mental stimulation in everything we do ... apart from when it's cosy, sleepy time

:)

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
Very easy! Pick up chis, put over the deck gate in the yard with two big Basset Hounds and let the fun start! LOL Gibbs and Sonny play non stop tearing through the yard. BG gets into the fun at times then will pause and be a Diva again then tears off with the boys again. Sadie tried to follow and bark at all of them

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo gets half an hour to an hour walk before I go to work, then about an our when OH gets home. Then we play tug of war and fetch several times per day. Sometimes I'll play fight but I generally end up with cuts! Or holes in my hoodie if I cover my hand. Sometimes I run around the kitchen and hallway and if I chase him he gets his zoomies. He gets his kong with treats he has to get out when I go to work. On a Friday he goes to my sisters' house and her husband and kids wear him out and he does like to run around the obsticals (couches, tables, toy boxes) too! I want to buy him a kong wobbler and I really want this... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nina-Ottosson-Dog-Brick-Activity/dp/B001KZ4WJE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349820700&sr=8-2

·
Registered
787 Posts
My dogs do a lot of exercising each other. We go out in the yard regularly, when it's warmer, and we take walks (though not everyone at once) when the weather allows. For mental stimulation, we go to pet stores or visit my parents or otherwise head out on the town.

I really like Nina Ottenson's puzzle toys. They are $$$, but very clever and are designed so you can make them increasingly more difficult as your dog gets better and better. With Eden Willow, I honestly bet she could take on any puzzle any of the other dogs could, so long as the item she's trying to work loose smells delicious. She's been solving puzzles blind since she was born. She could totally take on some fun ones!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts