Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want a chihuahua one day in the future. I am currently reading all I can about them. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be right for me. They love apartments (I'll probably be living in one when I get a chihuahua), They are small, I love small dogs, I grew up with a Chug, They are temperamental it seems, but it also seems like if you just socialize them at a young age maybe they won't be so temperamental.

I want a dog to love me and a chihuahua seems like It would love me dearly. Just wanted to see what your thoughts on this are, how did you know a chihuahua was right for you?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never had one, but I've always loved them and wanted a chi. They're all so unique looking, they have a great personality and they're sweet and loving, I like small dogs best, they're very active despite their small size, they're smart.. I pretty much love everything about them.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Some more resources...Find a reputable breeder, best done through your local Kennel club. You can also go to infodog.com and find local shows near you. You can talk to breeders and handlers after they Chi's are finished in the ring. This can help you see what you do or do not like in Chi's first hand. You can ask the breeders or handlers if they have or know of any good Chi puppies on the ground at this time or any litter due.

After all of this, make sure you ask the breeder tons of questions and the breeder asks you lots of questions. View the puppies at their kennel, get an idea of their temperaments and the parents temperaments and then go with your heart and gut as well as use your head to know whether something is not right. :)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I wanted a small dog since a while, I was a lurker on here for a while researching and I just kinda 'knew' everyone on here was so passionate about them and about what great personalities they had and I just went for it, trusted my instinct.

I will let you in on a wee secret I never seen a chihuahua in real life before I picked up Rocky to take home. I remember thinking I didn't realise they were so small.

I just went for it and a chihuahua is 100% right for us and I will always have one now, my partner is not really a 'doggie person' but he LOVES chis now!
I love everything about chihuahua, esp Rockys smell hehe, he defo does not have a doggie smell, he smells like doritos crisps and I love that about him!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I love everything about chihuahua, esp Rockys smell hehe, he defo does not have a doggie smell, he smells like doritos crisps and I love that about him!!
Holy cow what're you feeding him! I want a dog to smell like Doritos ;)

I had never had a chihuahua either before Gretel, and I didn't want her to begin with. But as soon as I held her she stole my heart.

Once a chihuahua owner always a chihuahua owner I say and i've never heard anyone say otherwise.

No dog is temperamental by nature I don't think - if you lead a laid back life, your dog will lead a laid back life etc. My OH and I are very mellow people, we don't have tons of company, and we're generally to be found sitting together watching movies by night, as a result we have two very laid back and mellow dogs. Now if we were more socially active with people over all the time, and in and out on the go, I could see our dogs being more lively that way but dogs adapt to their owners.

Just do your research and if you're considering chi, it's likely it'll fit your lifestyle as they're so adaptable.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
For the longest time I believed the Stereotypes then I happened on Yoshi and he certainly changed my outlook on Chi's :) With socialization and training they are the best :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
well i always grew up with dogs. and i did get my first chi when i was 8 or 7 and it was a new born. i had no idea how to take care of it and it died 4 days later .her name was rosey.

then i think a week later the neighbors gave me another baby chi and it looked just like the first one so i named her Rosey again and she sadly died too. i didnt want to have another chi again because i thought i was a dog killer. and i alreadi had a dalmation and pit mixed. but when i moved to FL ididnt have a dog (we had to give them to my uncle) and i wanted one so badly, so last year 2009 on christmas my mom got me a chi and i was happy as can be.

i guess the point is that iwasnt expected to get another chi, but i did, and i take great care of him, and we are best friends. it just happend like that. so if you think you are compatible with a chi by all means get one and do not doubt yourself.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Intelligent,easy to take anywhere,funny,sense of humour,can stand up for themselves,great personality, cheap to feed.What more can i say,love them too bits

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have waited since i was a little girl for a small dog! My parents would never let me have a dog but they got me a cat!! dont get me wrong i love Tillywilly (the cat) to bits but shes no dog!!
Then when i left school i worked in a dog groomers.. i was the 1 who ALWAYS groomed the toys breeds, they were all i was interested in!! but i was the only dog groomer with out a dog! :(
Then i moved out and wasnt allowed any pets because i was in rented :(
sooo when i moved again i was able to get that chihuahua that i`d been waitin so long 4!!
Me and my bf started looking this 1 evening,we went and saw Lola the next day and then bought her home! I was so excited! I will never have another breed!
Penny came a year later when we wanted to get Lola a play mate.. i absoultly LOVE them both so much! and so does my bf! he will quite happily walk then in their puppia harness`s and pink lead with giving a s**t what any 1 thinks!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wanted a small dog that could go everywhere with me. I researched alot of breeds but a chi was the only one that seemed to fit in my family. Now I have 3 chi's and can not imagine my life without them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Feodore smells like Doritos too! Especially after he has been sleeping under covers, his feet always smell the strongest, I love it, I always bury my face in him for the nice warm smell lol. I call him "dorito doggie" or "popcorn paws" cos it kinda smells like popcorn too

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I had my heart set on a chihuahua fo years. I just always wanted one and loved everything about them.

I've never wanted a big dog. Small dogs are just perfect for me.

I've always wanted a female puppy, but then I came across my Louie who was free to a good home locally. It was love at first sight and he is the perfect little dog :)

The pros of having a small dog: They cost less to feed, won't drag you down the street, plenty of room on the bed for you and them, they fit perfectly in your lap for cuddles, you can carry them into some shops and take them lots of places you couldnt a large dog, they cost less for medication from the vets as they need a smaller amount.

I just find them such amazing, loving little guys. Providing they are well brought up they shouldn't become snappy or yappy. My Louie doesn't bark and is never agressive.

Chihuahuas are just amazing :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I think the single most important factor to be cognizant of is that Chis are basically, for lack of a better word, needy. They want your attention all the time. They want to be on your lap or with you. If that's not appealing to you, then I would say a Chi wouldn't be your best bet. They're not the kind of dog that can be ignored and be happy--that's just not who they are. Aside from that major issue, I think they're just like any other dog. They need to be fed a good food and receive proper vet care and grooming, etc.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
That is the point i was going to make too!;)
Chihuahuas are fantastic little dogs and can easily become your best friend but they arent the breed for someone who is out at work or college alot of the time. They love their people and really dont like to be on their own.
Luckily Im happy to be constantly on cuddle alert for my lot!!LOL:D

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Chico is my first dog. I always wanted to get a chi. I remember buying a book about dog breeds and the chi breed was the one i keep reading about more than the others. ;)

I scene so many before but never took one. But chico was deferent. I don't know it was like my heart skipped a beet. I was in Love. :D I new ones a held him in my arm the first time that he was mine. :)

You will know in your heart if its the right one or not. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I wanted a small dog that could go everywhere with me. I researched alot of breeds but a chi was the only one that seemed to fit in my family. Now I have 3 chi's and can not imagine my life without them.
Exactly the same for me.

I have always had big dogs before.
I actually looked into getting a pomeranian.
But then started to research chihuahuas.
I found this site and lurked a little while before joining.
I then came across a member that lived near me, and i cant remember if i met her chi's before or after i had Darla waiting to come home, but once i saw her babies i knew i had made the right choice.
That member was Mandy for anyone that doesnt know...mum to Romeo, Honey and Zac. hehe!!

I couldnt believe how small they were too as i had never met any before that.
It made me all the more excited to have my own.
Here i am with 3 now.:)
Although as most know on here by now, i also got Daisy who was almost 3 years old from the same breeder as Darla, and pretended to think about taking her, :D but knew deep down that wee sweetie was coming home too. lol

I know i will always have a chi in my life now.
They are just the best and the love they give is unreal!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts