Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nugget rides in his crate, belted in the back seat, but now that he's done growing, I'm going to get him an approved seat belt harness.

When he was little, he got car sick easily, but he's gotten used to it now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd be terrified to let my boy ride like that. People in my area drive like it's Armageddon. I see car wrecks almost every day.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Louie gets really stressed in the car so I have to 'drug him' half an hour before we ride.
I give him some Bachs Rescue Remedy (herbal remedy) it really helps him with his car anxieties (of what I have no idea) but it really helps. Without it he pants and shakes like crazy but when hes had it he doesn't pant and his shaking is really reduced. I always make sure he jumps into the car himself so that hes comfortable with it.

Louie just sits on front seat and I have a seat belt clip that clips onto his harness. He just lies down and doesn't tend to move about.
Ferplast Dog Car Safety Belt In-Car Access for Sale

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mine are both belted into their lookout seat wearing harnesses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have a chi but when I get my little boy I'll get him a seat belt harness. Our other dogs ride in the car without any seat belts but I feel like it's dangerous.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now Bella is in her carrier Either seatbelted into the back seat, or shoved behind the passenger seat.

I am a Child Passenger Safety Technician, so although I've been heavily trained on mainly safety for children in cars, I could never hold her in the car. It'd be too scary. My dad and stepmom just holds their 3 Cotons, or lets them lay in the backseat on blankets. I asked him, "What would happen in an accident?" and he said that they would just hit the padded front seat. Uh.. no.

My mom and mother in law always tell me just to hold her, she'll be scared and cold in the carrier. If I were to hold her, the air bag would hit her, and push her body into mine, or she would hit the windshield, there is just so much bad that could go wrong!

When she starts to get too big for her carrier, I plan on buying her a pet booster. I just haven't decided which one, hence this thread! Hopefully from your pictures and such, I will find the perfect one for my Bella. I have awhile though. :)

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Mine use a pet booster. Or, it they are too small, in the pet carrier. Twiggy has a shoulder bag pet carrier that can be seat belted that is better for her because of her disabilties.

This is the booster seat:

And Twiggy's bag:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
We got two basket now....

NaNa is in one by herself cause she doesn't like the boys to touch her.....she's really a b*tch....

This is when MoJie was still little...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Mostly they are both on my lap! IF they aren't Kizzie usually sits in the back window or right in the middle of my OH and I on the console. Shayley does the console sometimes but she really loves being on my lap, she's a Mama's girl! lol

Here is Kizzie in the back window. She use to jump up and hit her head lol silly goose but now she knows better. I feel bad when we get our SUV (if we get one) because then she'll miss this so much! :(

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is a cool link!! im loving all the car seats!
Mine go in a carrier/bed type thing! it was their xmas present from their daddy!!
I will get a piccy soon! xx

·
Registered
266 Posts
One of my chihuahua books says chihuahuas( small dogs in general?) should not ride in the front seat because of the danger of the air bag hitting them with too much force.

I plan to go with a seat belt harness when I get a chi.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Mine ride in a carrier in the back of the PT Cruiser. I worry about them getting in an accident. My golden retriever tries to climb in my lap, and has eaten 3 of the little seat belt things so she is in a carrier as well :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My chi rides on my lap as I have two baby car seats taking up the whole back seat so no where to put a car seat for Midgie. If she's not in my lap, she loves to ride on my shoulders where she can look out.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
oooh i'm loving the car seats! yes i agree the front seat is dangerpus if i'm driving alone they are in a big carrier 2 of them can fit in it i rarely drive by myself with any of them. I may need to grab a couple of those car seats :)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Ava hates the car so she rarely goes.. but quark and lola sit on my lap until i get a carseat then they will sit in that

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can anyone get a link for where you can buy the car seats/baskets? I have never seen those before?

Radley likes going out in the car except after dark. If i'm out alone he is in his carrier on the front seat with the seatbelt around it, if I am not driving he sits on my lap or on the floor at my feet in his carrier.

I cant really put him on the back seat as I have loads of work stuff there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Apple is AMAZING in the car...or traveling in general....in her play pen i have her travel bag set up as her bed, so when we travel she essencially travellers in her bed so it makes her more comfortable......this is the same carrier i took her on the plane with and after take off she just went staright to sleep. As for driving whether its a 5 minute drive or a 4 hour drive she is passed out and dead to the world....i dont know what it is about the car but she just passes out and you dont see her move or hear her until the trip is over.....i am soo lucky cause i know ALOT of dogs out there dont sit still during car ride or dont enjoy them....

heres a picture of her playpen you can see i have her carrier in there as her bed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts