Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to walk at least an hour every day, more if possible . I also jog when I can. What I need to know is how far can I ask my O'reilly to walk with me. I take him for a couple of miles in th morning and some times he is ok other times he just sits down and cry's.
I'd like to be able to take the pup further but he is only 7 months and I'm not sure how far is good for him.

And advice Glo

·
Registered
919 Posts
Mine often gets cold after about 3/4 mile and I end up carrying her home, shivering and tucked inside my jacket. You live north of me, so are you sure the pup is simply tired?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You can buy things like baby carriers that you wear and put the dog in.
I would walk him as far as he will go, then put him in the carrier the rest of the way, or until he is willing to walk again.
If it's real cold where you live you might want to get him some shoes to protect his feet though.
I have read that if you take long walks on the street or sidewalk it can injure their pads too. I don't know if that's true, but you might want to check into it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
he shouldnt realy be a jogging/walking companion untill about 1 year old (when done growing) to avoid growth plate issues (same with big dogs, danes should be 2 yrs old before doing any kind of "forced" excersize (like walking long distances or jogging)

that being said, my chis will do about 1/2 a mile if its cold before asking for upsies, and mabe a mile tops in comfortable weather.
I would get a comfortable back pack type carrier let him walk with you untill he lookes tired or starts lagging back and then pick him up into the carrier and continue...
he still gets some excersize, you still have a companion to jog with and everyones happy :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks O'Reilly loves to run, I can't keep up with him.
Got a puppy carrier but he is afraid of it.
I always put a coat on him if its cold though we only have had 2 days were it diped below freezing.
Will reastrict his walking for now though dont want to harm him. Its only on the way out he sits down - coming back he wants to hurry.

Thanks for the info..

Glo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts