Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long after a chis heat cycle do you have to wait to have them spayed? Baby finished her heat around 2 weeks ago I want to book her in for spay soon is it too soon? We brought prada in the day or 2 after her heat cycle but it was diff circumstances and the vet said its a higher risk of bleeding she was fine but I'd rather be on the safe side with baby also because of her age (almost 6). Are there any risk factors with her being so old and getting spayed ?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My vet said at least 2 weeks out of heat...that said, most other vets I've talked to said 6 weeks. I think older gals can get spayed just fine, many are when they are done at breeder's houses.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have heard one week, two weeks, six weeks and three months from different vets. I have also known vets that were comfortable spaying during a heat cycle (though most of them were working at animal shelters and the dogs in heat were recent shelter arrivals who needed to be spayed before they could be made available for adoption). Every vet seems to have a different opinion when it comes to this question. I would just follow the protocol that your own vet advises.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I had Ivy done at 5 weeks post heat and she did fine, I wanted to wait longer but I needed to have it done so she'd be healed and could go to her pet home,...I wouldn't wait more than 8-1o weeks cuz lol you never know when they will decide to come in early. I definitely wouldn't rush but I'd get a date set. She should be fine I think though :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya definitely we had prada done 1 day after and the surgery went really good they said after baby had her pups I asked at 8 weeks web I was getting the pups shots and they had said she could get spayed then I thought it eas way too soon after givin birth considering they hadn't even left yet. I may wait a couPle more weeks it's so stressful thinking about it but I can't stand her goin into more heats she drives ninja crazy lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is Ninja fixed? I only ask because an unfixed male dog can cause a female to go into heat sooner too.

I wouldn't think you would have to worry about it this soon after but it's always something to think about. I agree with everyone else as well, don't rush too quickly have an approx time frame in you mind as consult with a vet you trust on what they think it best for her too.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Our vet recommended 6 weeks after the heat cycle. Allows the swelling to go down, bleeding to stop and the little girl to feel back to her old self before the surgery.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ninja has been fixed for 2 years they still mate and get stuck together lol baby harasses him so much he hides from her I sent him to his dads for a week just to give him a break I think she went into heat because we had prada over and she was in heat I know other females can bring it on too but pradas spayed now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts