Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Toilet training is coming along with Kaspar. I'm crate training him, so he's kept in the crate overnight and again when I'm at work. I'm taking him straight outside after being in the crate and he is going outside. So all good there. But he still isn't running to to the door when he needs to go if he's given free run of the house (when I'm at home with him) how long does it take before they do this? Also he's not eliminating on walks or when he's being looked after by family when I'm out for prolonged periods. My sister will have him at her house and as much as she takes him outside to go he won't and has ended up soiling her carpet. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I used to leave a pad next to the back door,then when she was used to using it, i took it away so every time she went to the back door looking for the pad i let her out.She now scratches the door to be let out.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
How old is he?

I think they get dependent on us telling them when it's time to go, and once they mature enough to hold it for longer periods of time, they start to let you know when it's time to go out. If I remember correctly, Gracie was around 8 months when she started herding me towards the door to let me know she had to go, but it was also around the time I stopped dragging her out every hour or so to make sure she didn't go inside!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Of all my chis, I only have Pepper that indicates when he has to go out. The rest depend on me to open the dog door. Every once and a while I will look up to see Delilah hanging around the door, but she never scratches or whines like Pepper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts