Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long it took to train your dog for those of you who paper trained? I've had sammy for almost a month and a half and after the first three weeks he was using both pee and poop on the paper by himself :) but now he refuses to pee on the papers even after I put him on there and I know he needs it, he will wait till I let him off and then pee right in front of me :roll: I'm getting really frustrated but I know I have to be patient. I even tried setting two sets of papers: one to pee and one to poop, he doesnt really acknowledge it. So sorry for the post that seems pointless I just wanted to know how long it took until your baby was fully paper trained?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper was easy cheesy to train. The first day I had him, he peed and pooped on the pee pads.

THEN... he decided it would be best to start pooping under my bed, the little devil.

Patience is the key ... he's just testing you. If you have a yard, I'd start taking him outside to pee, that way he can choose his own location to do his business.

If you're using papers, you may want to try pee pads. Perhaps he doesn't like what he reads in the newspapers. :D At least, try the funny pages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's been a week now but still not yet fully mastered his pee pad bussiness yet. He would pee on the pad but wont poo on it. Instead he would rather do it in the corner. When I see he's about to do it, I quickly put him on the pee pad everytime. Still trying hard at it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It just takes longer for some of our little ones to catch on than it does others. But what you are describing sounds pretty typical - they start out using the pads right away and you breathe a sigh of relief and think - "that wasn't bad at all. That was easy." Then the little devils decide to test their boundaries and your patience. :lol:

Just hang in there and be patient. And as Cooper's mom says, maybe he doesn't like what he's reading in the papers! :lol: Just kidding, but you might try the puppy pads if you haven't already. They are treated with a scent of some sort that is supposed to encourage them to pee on the pads.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I took almost a month of work when I frist got Zola so I could toliet train him and just get him use to his surroundings. Within this time he was pee and poo trained. He goes on pee pads. Maybe you could try that if the paper doesnt work anymore or give the spray stuff a try onto the paper. Often tho Zola will aim for the poo to go on the pad and he will miss it but he never gets told of for that cuz i know he tried his best.

Good luck, you will get there in the end. Probably quicker than you think :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
caesura took about a month. she always uses them now, even if her aim is alittle off sometimes, he he :D !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: Stinky was a breeze...1 week with just a couple of accidents and that was it...Smelly on the other hand was a lot more difficult...he goes 98% where he's supposed to and it's been more than 4 months. :wink: I think it all depends on the dog because we treated Smelly the same...crate and all but he took longer with more mistakes and is still not 100% on the money. :wink:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget did great at first with his.. but he was so little and young when I got him I never let him wonder (well, he couldn't even walk when I first got him) on the floor... I think he was about 5 weeks before he touched the floor... I had his bed one the couch or beside my bed and his potty box(with potty pad in it) ont he floor right next to his bed so I could put him in it when ever he needed to go... I actually put him in it about 10 minutes after I fed him.. had to feed him every 2 hours for about 3 weeks... as he got older he went on the floor and he had his potty box right there nad he would go potty in there.. and then it was just the potty pad... but then he started going outside on the ground and once he figured out that he coould potty anywhere out there.. he stopped all together pottying onthe pads... then I had to start taking him outside... now he is totally outside trained.. he will let us know when he has to go out he does have a potty pad int he bathroom that he uses.. It hinkhe does it in the middle of the night.. because I never see him actually using it but there are the signs there...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I am glad to say that for the last few days sammy has been going pee on the paper by himself :hello1: Its funny because after he uses the papers I'll give him half a treat and sometimes he'll pee a little drop and then go get me to follow him to his cabinet where I have all his goodies :wink: I tell you Ilove that little guy :love5:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Although pee pads are scented, sometimes our babies just don't know to go there. I know that you can buy bottles of spray stuff that you spray on the pads or papers that makes them want to, but there's an easier trick that's free! :D When your baby has an accident on the floor, take the pee pad over there and let it absorb it. Then, put the pad back where it was. Their own scent and...er..."business"...will make them want to go there. A lady at the pet store suggested that idea to me and it works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts