Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree with Katie.
Jinxy is about 9 months old, but the vet told me to switch to adult food a month ago.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yeah you can switch as early as 8 months, or continue until 12 months with the puppy food. Usually your dog will let you know. A lot of the time they'll just stop eating puppy food when they are ready for adult food ... otherwise I'd wait until 12 months.

·
Registered
83 Posts
in small breeds you can stop between 8 and 12 months but for a large breed you should feed puppy food until 18 months. the smaller breeds do most of their growing by 8 months while the large breeds keep growing well after they turn one. the puppy foods ensure healthy bone growth and extra nutrition that they need for growing and developing properly. unless you feed an all life stages food, then you don't have to worry about switching over, you just have to adjust how much is fed when they transition from puppy to adult.

·
Registered
706 Posts
snowflakechi said:
in small breeds you can stop between 8 and 12 months but for a large breed you should feed puppy food until 18 months.
In pups that are over 60lbs the role of nutrition during the growth periods of puppyhood can have huge effects on the dog. In the mistaken belief that you want rapid growth in a big dog, certain problems have been determined to be contibuted to over supplementation from feeding puppy foods. for example to much calicium, to much protein and feeding to many calories.

Included in the list of medical problems feeding a large pup puppy food can be in part attributed to over supplemation are , Hip Dyspalsia (can be genetic and in part from diet) early arthritis and HOD which is a bone disease found in rapidly growing dogs.

In all my years of being involved in giant breeds it is their very best interest NOT to feed puppy food but a high quality dog food. You do not want to promote rapid growth...

·
Registered
83 Posts
i didn't say you want rapid growth, i did say that they need the extra nutrients while still growing though. in the feild i work we see under nutrition in a lot of large breeds because people think they can switch them over to adult food before their growing is even done. you get a whole slew of problems when you over supplement yes, but you also get another slew of problems if you under supplement.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am going to disagree with you...if you feed a high quality dog food you do not need to supplement and you are not going to encourage rapid growth. I do not know of one dane owner who would recommend you start your puppy on puppy food...and if the breeder did...run do not walk as fast as you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts