Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I want to get two chi pups. But I'm at school all day from 9am till 4pm on Mondays and Tuesdays. And 9am till 3:20pm Wednesday to Friday. Is it ok to leave my chihuahuas at home that long on there own?

Btw, ill get them at the beginning of summer holidays so ill have two months off with them to introduce them to their new life and to train them. Ill be with them every weekend and bring them with me in a bag to places.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think you are doing a great thing by getting them in summer holidays.
Also there is for sure not problem with leaving them alone that long.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would recommend getting them use to a crate, or be able to gate them up in a tile area where they will have a bed and pee pad. I work from 8 hrs and then have school after work too. My work is close to home so I come home everyday at lunch and let them out and feed them. Mine are crated when I am not home. My BF works nights, so he is actually at home sleeping while they sleep in their crate. He lets them out before he leaves for work.

I would definitely use a crate, as it helps with potty training. I use to gate Ruffio up in the bathroom when he was younger and an only child, but he would start shredding up the pads.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Miuccias and ruffio N reinas! I do plan on crate training them and of course leaving plenty of toys and water for them. I also plan on getting classical music CDs to relax them whilst I'm gone.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie is fine being left alone for a whole work day, although I do try to avoid it. A lot of people on here work or go to school full-time and have no issues. If you're worried for the first bit, you could get someone to pop by and give them some loving or take them for a walk, but many dogs are fine alone during the day.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Sorry I was also going to add that slowly increasing the time you leave them alone will really help so it won't be such a shock when you're just gone one day. When we first brought Odie home, after a few days we started with just 15 minutes and increased from there. I would get my purse, grab my jacket, jingle my keys and actually leave for a little while. She was totally fine, but if the dogs whine, let them calm down before you "come home". This should help to ensure that they don't develop any separation anxiety and will make the process a lot smoother. :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
As long as you're getting 2 at once they will be happy alone for that length of time. When I first got Axle and he was an only dog he would literally keep me up until midnight wanting attention after he had been alone all day but as soon as we got Chloe and she was old enough to be left alone with him they became best friends and were really happy to be left alone together all day.

As someone else recommended gradually work up to longer periods alone. I didn't have the luxury of 2 months off when I got my pups but I did manage to come home at lunch time for the first 2 weeks I had each of them just to check in and feed them and that worked well. They were alone for about 4 hours at a time and did fine.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have 2 chi's and use a cage for them when I'm out. They have their beds, water and food in there and it's big enough to use one end as a toilet although they rarely do. The longest I ever leave them in it because I have to go out is 8 hours. They are fine. Never had any problems. I make sure I take them out for the toilet before I put them in it and go. That's only once a week but I'm sure others on here do the same more regularly

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
We rarely leave the dogs alone, there's almost always someone around! but there are many people here who work and attend school just fine, it sounds like you have it all planned out :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Everyone has given you great advice! And I think you are thoughtful and everything will be fine.
I forgot to answer your question, I don't like to leave my puppies alone for a long time, so far the max has been 5h.
But people have things to do and can't be home the whole day. I think is great that you are taking 2 and that you will take time to be with them before school/work starts again.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Some days out from 9-3! But my girls r fine as they hav each other :) in the nice weather I leave them outside in their garden I made especially for them! They hav a house lots of shade, fake grass & plenty of cover from outside animals :) now that's its coming up winter I wil b making them an over sized crate inside with toys bed etc!!! Can't b 2 spoilt!!! Then I don't feel bad if I get stuck being out all day!! :)
2 pups sounds great!!!
Good luck!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts