Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rescued Cricket. She is 5 yrs old, and hasn't been spayed. I'm just wondering how long will her heat last and what should I look for, and how do I protect my floors? I know these are probably obvious questions but I have never had an inside unspayed female dog before. She is small enough I don't need to worry about other dogs getting a hold of her. I'll keep close watch. I was just wondering how do I handle it? I got her from my neighbor and let me say, she probably wouldn't know the answer to any of my questions.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Heats occur about every 6 months. They last about 3 weeks. A week of swelling and bloody drainage, then a week where she is fertile (she stays enlarged but the drainage turns more clear), then another week of drainage. She CAN be fertile any time during the cycle, so she should be protected from other dogs.

You can protect your floors by having her wear a diaper with a sanitary napkin. They make them in small sizes.

Are you planning on having her spayed?

Watch for signs of pyometra (an often fatal uterine infection) that occurs after a season. She may also experience a false pregnancy which is quite distressing to the dog.

Here's a thread on the issue that will help answer your questions on what to expect ....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/chihuahua-questions/50600-what-can-i-expect.html

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much. I'm scared cause she is older, but we have to get our big dog neutered before we can get her spayed. I appreciate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts