Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long did it take your chi to take to another dog living in his or her house. mines having a little trouble adjusting to her new sister. i know patience is the key and give lots of love so they dont feel deglected. about how long did it take for your to get along. my boy was here first hes 1 and a half. the girl is new shes a chi and 10 months old. she is very friendly and out going. mine seems shy an a little timid of her. he growls a bit when shes to close

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I adopted my chi's together and they were a bonded pair so no time for them obviously, but with past pets it has varied a fair bit, from very quickly, like a weeks time, to as long as a few months. I think every set of pets will be different really. Then some pets never really become buds and just sorta tolerate each other. My Pom and my cats never truly became buds, but the cats tolerated her eventually. ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I could have written your post. I have a 5 year old Chi male (Bruiser) and a 1 1/2 year old female (Maya). We had a shi-poo get hit by a car and Bruiser was with her when it happened. He has not been the same since. We decided that he was traumatized and since he followed the shi-poo everywhere, that maybe another pup would be good. We got Maya and he Hated her. Did the same growl thing, wouldn't play etc. Now, he's not a big play guy anyway; more cat like. But she would bite his leg to play, jump all over him and he was not liking it. So I kept them together in small doses. Now, they sleep together in the same bed and he tolerates her. He doesn't like her but he has realized that she's not going anywhere and mostly they get along ok. He avoids her when he can and she lets him eat first. It's sad to me because Bruiser used to follow Phoebe (shi-poo) like a shadow. They even ran away together. (radio fence battery had died in their collars and Phoebe tested it, realized it and they ran and ran across a rural highway 1/2 mile from me. :( Bruiser is still not really himself and he is content to just lay on the couch, go outside to potty and sit on my lap. That's it. So I wish he could find some joy in Maya. But it is what it is. Supervise their time together and do it in small doses. Good luck.
Tricia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:pthank you guys i appreciate your feedack. i guess my only concern is that in a few months i will be in love with her but at same time want charlie [my first pup] to be comfrotable. i would find a good home for bella at worst possible situation. i think they'll be fine together though too. im just a lil worried cause i want it to work so badly for them. shes perfect just like him. and i can totally relate to cats and chi. my chi and cats play sometimes but mostly tolerate eachother. sometimes they play but charlies a little to much for them on energy level so thats why we figured another pup would give him a play mate. he does take the occasional nap with them too however. we do give them alot of attention. there are our life and i love them with my whole heart. after extensive research for a year and talking with experts we found that his ideal match was a chi that was a female so he wouldnt feel threatend by her presence

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
When I got Heidi it took about 3 days for Hannah to fall in love but about 3mths for Adam! He was terrible to her and often just attacked her in what looked like a really viscious way.:( Im glad I didnt give up though coz they get on great now and she gives as good as she gets!
Adam is just a very grumpy, dominant boy who hates change. He is the same with the cats and has to really prove he is the boss. I will have to make sre any dogs I get in the future are very submissive.:)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
my harry and brandy tolerate tulula, harry would snap at her quite abit, but now she has a go back at him so he doesn't do it anymore, but it could take months, so unfortunatly patience is the key

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Took Zoey seconds to get used to Layla. Zoey has a very strong mothering instinct and took to her straight away acting like her mother, cleaning her EVERYWHERE and even trying to get her to suckle! haha
Took Roxy 3 or 4 days to get used to Layla. Roxy also started mothering Layla but not as much as Zoey.
Took Jet 5 - 7 days to get used to Layla.
Took Lucy, my cavalier about 5 months!! Lucy doesnt really like young puppies much, they are a bit to playful for her and dont know their place in the pack yet. Lucy only likes dogs over about 6 or 7 months old.

Just give it time and they will bond.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could have written your post. I have a 5 year old Chi male (Bruiser) and a 1 1/2 year old female (Maya). We had a shi-poo get hit by a car and Bruiser was with her when it happened. He has not been the same since. We decided that he was traumatized and since he followed the shi-poo everywhere, that maybe another pup would be good. We got Maya and he Hated her. Did the same growl thing, wouldn't play etc. Now, he's not a big play guy anyway; more cat like. But she would bite his leg to play, jump all over him and he was not liking it. So I kept them together in small doses. Now, they sleep together in the same bed and he tolerates her. He doesn't like her but he has realized that she's not going anywhere and mostly they get along ok. He avoids her when he can and she lets him eat first. It's sad to me because Bruiser used to follow Phoebe (shi-poo) like a shadow. They even ran away together. (radio fence battery had died in their collars and Phoebe tested it, realized it and they ran and ran across a rural highway 1/2 mile from me. :( Bruiser is still not really himself and he is content to just lay on the couch, go outside to potty and sit on my lap. That's it. So I wish he could find some joy in Maya. But it is what it is. Supervise their time together and do it in small doses. Good luck.
Tricia
ty. im so sorry to hear about that situation. thats so sad. ya mines not liking the new play mate i got him. i hope he takes cause hes my baby and i want him to be happy. at same time if i wait months it will be hard to rehome the new member bella cause shes a sweet heart herself.:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts