Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I always free feed, all my dogs are a good weight except Reggie, he put on a little after his neuter. But saying that, I would free feed a puppy until about 6 months, thats when they slow down their growing and start getting their adult body.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I fill the bowl and if she eat it that it. But I feed her twice a day soften she likes it better and really doesn't eat too much of the hard in bowl unless I feed it to her she thinks it a game I think. . Or I late giving soft I see her eat it. She play with it first. I like keeping it there for her so her blood sugar doesn't go down.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How old is Finn?

I free fed Jazz for a while, but it was hard to manage because Tango's a pig so he's not free fed, but he'd go after Jazz's food if it wasn't in her playpen with her. And she was only in her playpen when I was at work. I maybe rushed putting her on two meals a day (before and after my work) but it didn't seem to be a problem for her. She was around 16 - 18 weeks by the time I started crating her while I was at work instead of leaving her in a playpen, and that's when I started feeding her just twice a day.However I always left her a kong with a bit of kibble in it so she'd have a little nibble in case hypoglycemia might still be a problem. No indication that it was, it was just me being uber cautious.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I never free fed Godric and he's a bit on the trim side, I prefer it that way.

When he was younger I did split his meals up into 3 times a day instead of 2.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I free fed Lacey until she was eating good on her own. It took her a good 2 weeks. Once we established that...I fed 4 meals a day. She was tiny...and still is...so I am still feeding her 4 times a day at 8 mos....per my vets advise.

He's a chow hound because you feed such good food :D

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I still free feed Lion, he is 9 months and he is on the thin side. Penny is 3 months and free fed as well. If either of them starts to become chubby, I will start feeding meals, but this works for us right now.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I'm stingy...I never free fed except when Matilda was a baby & until Milo came home (he'd clean the bowl out no matter how much I filled it LOL). With the little ones I just make sure they eat three times a day or twice with a nice little mid day snack. Especially if Finn is a really good eater...I'd definitely not free feed--and with all his poopin I'd say he's telling you he's eating too much. ;D Three times (as close to every 8 hours as you can) should suffice with a pup as long as they aren't super tiny.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I gotta agree w/ Heather -- all mine are good eaters, and I never free-fed. I always found it worse to free feed (I tried w/ Bryco who was super bitty) b'c I wasn't totally sure if he'd eaten or if someone else had snuck in his pen and had a nice lunch...I did 4 meals a day for him til he was 18 weeks old and over 2 lbs and then went to 3. I'd rather KNOW they are eating something every few hours, then hope they are. If a puppy has a really hard play session, I give a few bits of food or a treat after, before they sleep, because that's the most likely time they might crash.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I still free feed my guys. They eat when they want and I have never had much issue with it. They have two small bowls and I do not fill them full and it takes them about 2 1/2 days to eat it between the two of them. I see both of them in there eating throughout the day so I know both are eating. Neither are over weight. It has always worked for us. It is funny as I tried to feed them on a schedule before and they acted as if they were starving to death and would eat every bit of it when it was put down. They started getting on the chunky side when I had them on a schedule, LOL!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Gosh Cheryl...I don't know. I've never fed TOTW so I don't have anything to go by. I do know when we fed EVO (similar quality) I fed everyone the same no matter the age LOL--about 1/4c a day. I split up in 2 meals (with the snack mid-day of usually a few extra pieces of kibble) & they did well on it. May have even been a bit porky. What does their feeding guideline say?

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
We can't free fees beau even though he's a tiny prada obviously has been eating both meals because she is disgustingly over weight as of yesterday when I spent some te with them anyways trying to get the oh to put a stop to that immediately. He had a seizure from hypoglycemia the vet thinks at 8 weeks of age but he wasn't eating anything back then! No problems since then with him. Lots of good advice here!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yikes! That's a lot of food & POOP! hahaha For now I'd try cutting down to maybe 1/4c (maybe a tad more for now) twice a day & see how he does. Do you have a scale? If so I'd personally do daily checks at this point just to be sure he doesn't start going down. You can watch body condition but I'm one who would like to rely more on a scale. It'll catch drops quicker than the eye. :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I second the kitchen scale. I got a nice digital one from Target that I Love! I weigh Lacey every couple of days to make sure she doesnt lose anything and Im track with what Im feeding her.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Cheryl, I'd just go get a digital kitchen scale wherever they may have them. Doesn't have to be fancy. I got ours in town at a local retail store that sells kitchen items. I think it was $15 but it works perfectly. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts