Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just wondering how long everyone's chis are home when you go to work. I will be gone around 8 hours. Pixie (4 1/2 months) is litter box trained so her having to go outside won't be a problem. My roommate who i work with also has a chi so Pixie also won't be alone. She doesn't go in a crate anymore so the dogs get the run of the downstairs of our apt. I am so worried about her getting lonely eventhough she will be with the other dog and have access to food, water and litter box all day. I guess I just need some reassurance that she will be ok and people have to leave their pets to go to work.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Leave some toys as well like balls,squeaky toys,kongs,or even a treat ball. i am sure she will do fine.what kind of litter do you use and how did you train her?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'm struggling with this issue myself. I've been working long hours lately and am gone from 7:30 in the morning to sometimes 6 or 6:30 at night! Charley is all by himself, so by the time I get home he is craving attention. :bounce:

I had another dog for a while and only recently had to give him back up to his original owner who FINALLY came looking for him. (He found me!) Since he's been gone, I have seen a HUGE difference in Charley. He wasn't nearly as "needy" then as he is now that he's alone all day. :blob4:

I think your baby chi will be fine, especially with the other chi around. You'd be surprised how much comfort the animals bring to one another while you're gone. I wouldn't have known had I not seen the difference first hand in Charley:!:

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Take it from me... the crazy lady that video taped her dog while she was at work... all they do is sleep while you're gone. They may get up and eat a little or drink some water... or pee on your favorite sweater that you forgot to pick up off the floor before you left, but they just sleep the rest of the time.

That was the most boring puppy video I had ever watched. :sleepy1:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cooper said:
Take it from me... the crazy lady that video taped her dog while she was at work... all they do is sleep while you're gone. They may get up and eat a little or drink some water... or pee on your favorite sweater that you forgot to pick up off the floor before you left, but they just sleep the rest of the time.

That was the most boring puppy video I had ever watched. :sleepy1:
That's funny because I actually want to get a camera and record her to see what she does when I'm gone. I figure all she does is sleep but 8 hours seems like a long time to sleep after sleeping all night. Can dogs spend 8 hours in the day sleeping and then sleep again at night?? I couldn't do it but maybe dogs are different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
princess_ella said:
Leave some toys as well like balls,squeaky toys,kongs,or even a treat ball. i am sure she will do fine.what kind of litter do you use and how did you train her?
I use kitty litter called Swheat Scoop from Petsmart. I didn't really have any trouble training her to use it since I started from the day I got her at 6 weeks old. I actually started with pee pads but after a month or so switched to the litter. I just would put her in the box and praise her like crazy when she went. She kind of tried to play in and eat the litter the first time in it but after that she was fine. It is a little messy but it sure makes me feel better that when I'm gone she is not standing at the door because she has to go out.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I've been thinking about litter training Lina so when I'm gone she won't potty on the floor (which she does). I don't work outside of the home though so it's not like she's home for 8 hours with no one to let her out. I never leave her home alone for more than a few hours unless my bf will be coming home before me. I know all she does is cry and sleep when I'm gone lol. At least that's what she does when I leave her home with my bf lol. She sleeps on the dirty laundry by the backdoor waiting for me to come home.

·
Registered
854 Posts
We are usually at work from 9 until just after 6, and we sometimes have things going on in the evenings also. Our guys seem ok with it... yes they can easily sleep and laze around all day then sleep at night too!! I guess it really is a dogs life! They do have toys around to play with too... but as my guys are older they aren't into toys very much.

I think they do well because there are the two to keep each other company. Ed was alone for 6 months before we got Emma ( our poodle died so he was really missing her) and he was really needy and craving attention when we would get home. I think Chis always do better in batches anyway! They are very sociable little mites.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for reassuring me that Pixie will be okay while I'm gone! I'm really glad my roommate also has a chi so she is not home alone. They get along so well so i'm sure they will spend the day playing and sleeping. Kind of makes me wish I were a dog!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts