Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had their chis neutered by 4 months and how much did they weigh at that time?

·
Registered
820 Posts
well....our vet wants bobo to be atleast 6 months before he gets neutered.
i dont know.....how old can they be? he weighs about 5.5 lbs now. and he's 4 months nex week thurs.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
nowerdays larger dogs can be done at around 4 months however with anything under 5lbs its very risky to put an adult dog under anesthetic so most GOOD vets refuse to spay or neuter dogs like chis untill they are ATLEAST 6months old.
i was told if i decided i wanted to spay vixie because she was only 3lbs at 6 months i should wait till she was a year just to be safe and even then they will use the minimal amounts and take extra precautions during any procedure in which the dog is under anesthetic.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
most vets say 6 months.. but one vet we adored (when we moved we had to leave them because it would be a 2 hour drive) said it was actaully best to wait until they are 1 -2 years!! but what ever works for you and what is safest for your puppy..

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neutering at 4 months

My vet told me 6 months to. The reason why I posted differently is on another message board the majority is 4 months instead of 6 months? I thought this was unusual and then I started thinking about my Yorkie. We waited until 6 months with him and he had already started marking at this time and he still marks some and he is 6 yrs old now and still not doing well with house training, I thought maybe he was neutered to late. I guess not though. i have never had a dog neutered before the age of 6 months but I do know of the rescues around here do this before 4 months?

What is the usual age that a chi starts to mark his territory?

My Yorkie was not quite 3lbs yet when neutered.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
weight is no issue when they get neutered
they must have both testicles descended ....why they say best age is 6 months is because they are almost outgrown and it's before most start to mark etc.....
some vets believe the build of a dog is better when they are neutered later.....

kisses nat

·
Registered
746 Posts
The lady we bought Mo from told us to get him fixed before 6mos to prevent marking and "male" behaviors, but my vet said he wouldn't want to do it until "at least" six months.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The vet told us he had to be at least 6 months but he wanted him to be at least 3 pounds. He is already 5 pounds :) at 4 and a half months.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget started lifting his leg very early.. I think he was like 3 months... And he still marks but he has stopped almost totally in the house... unless you leave somehting on the floor that has never been on the floor before...

I keep telling amanda not to leave her stuff on the floor... he will mark it every time... she didn't believe me and she left her dirty clothes on the floor and he peed on them.. she left a book on the floor and he peed on it... and then she left soemthing else ont he floor and he peed on it...

I think after the 4th or 5th time she got the hint and now she doesn't leave anything on the floor...

It is really a good thing actually... it makes us keep the house clean... hehehhehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts