Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I'm a little confused about potential pee areas for my soon-to-be chi. Been talking to a chi owner who has advised me only to have one pee pad area indoors (which makes sense. Not to mention I want the UGODOG eventually). However, I live in a two floor house, and while his cage will be kept downstairs (with a pee pad, some toys, etc inside) for him during the day, I want to have him sleeping in my bedroom upstairs in a dog bed at night. He obviously can't manage the stairs himself, so to avoid accidents wouldn't it make sense to have a secondary pee pad upstairs in my room?

Or is that just going to confuse the heck out of him?

What about when I get the UGODOG? Obviously that won't be inside his crate because it would take up too much room, so that will require him to adapt yet again. I'd say just have the downstairs pee pad outside the crate, but then what would happen if I needed to keep him locked inside the crate/cage for a few hours? He'd be desperate for a pee!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I do not have a right answer, just what we have and do. We have 2. One in the main living area (our living room, dining room and kitchen are one big room) and another in their pen area when we are gone.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I temporarily have 2. I usually only have 1 but I am also house training a puppy. I have 1 in our living room area and the other one is where her puppy pen use to be. she is use to going there so that is where our temporary pad is. Once she has the hang of going where she is suppose to...I will go back to using only 1 :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have a couple different pads down. After I pad trained Tango, I moved and once I got him used to the new place, with limited access initially, I realized that it was a long way for him to go to use the pee pad that I'd put in the bathroom. So I put one down in the sitting room too, and he just automatically started using that one as well. There was no training involved, he just saw it and used it.

Remember though, that Tango's the one who will pee on things on the floor that he THINKS are pee pads......a mat, the leg of my jeans, even a square of paper that floated to the floor. He thinks he's doing good, being a good dog when he does that lol! So with that mentality it just made sense that he was going to pee on a pee pad wherever it was!

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have 2 areas plus they all go outside. Pads are excellent for when my hubby and I are not home, at night or when the weather sucks.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have 2 areas.
The livingroom and the bedroom, cause they sleep with me at night and sometimes They do a pee just before i go to sleep or early morning before feeding time. lol
We are possibly moving soon to a house with a garden, (live in a flat right now) so i will slowly be training them to go mainly outside.
That should be fun. haha!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Holy cow I'm glad I looked at this thread. For our two little puppies we usually have 2 down PER ROOM Is that bad? Should we only be having one or two? PS, we live in a massive house if that changes anything??

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I have two areas, one in the dog room (right next to the open dog door *shrug* but it still gets used) and one in my room. They all sleep in there and in the morning some will have had to pee and/or poo during the night. I have three in my bedroom. I have one that doesn't like to pee and poo on the same pad and one that will only use the area near the corner. It works for us.

BrutusTheGirl, maybe cutting back to one a room? Is it working that they are hitting them everytime? What I am thinking with so many, it will be harder to cut back when they are older to one or two. Maybe start putting some in the bathroom and just walk them in to it at random times so they know where they are and slowly cutting back on the ones all over?

·
Registered
24 Posts
BrutusTheGirl, maybe cutting back to one a room? Is it working that they are hitting them everytime? What I am thinking with so many, it will be harder to cut back when they are older to one or two. Maybe start putting some in the bathroom and just walk them in to it at random times so they know where they are and slowly cutting back on the ones all over?
God no, its not working at all! They go everwhere ! And whats worse is, if they pee or poop in the house my "Man-Of-The-House" (who is normally otherwise doggy door trained) Has to run over and "sprinkle" on top of the puppies accident

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm also a mum-in-waiting! I'm planning to have one proper potty area, which will be a Ugodog in my bathroom. The only other acceptable toilet area will be overnight in her crate, where she'll have a pad.

I'm doing it on the same training basis as for outdoor potty training i.e. there is only ONE place that I want the puppy to go. With my other dogs it was always pick them up and take them outside, with my chi it will be pick her up and take her to the Ugodog. I'm hoping this will make it clear to her what's wanted and easier for her to learn.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have only one....that said. I get up early around 5 -and take him out to piddle or just let him down and tell him to go if there is a snow blizzard or something. He just goes to the wee pad.

He is a leg lifter though---ugh.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I use the Ugodog system and only have one. It is downstairs. The only thing upstairs is our bedroom and Zoey sleeps with us but she gets up around 10 Pm and runs down to pee and comes back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts