Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penny now has a mouth full of teeth...Her puppy teeth are not budging and now her adult teeth are coming in she looks like a little shark! The vet said if they don't come out buy the time we have her spayed (Jan 8th) they can pull the ones that need it. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her out? They don't seem to bother her and I am ok with having them pulled if need be I trust my vet but I can just imagine how miserable she's is gonna be having a sore mouth on top her spay. We have rawhide bones and chews laying all over the house but both of the dogs see them more as toys..go figure. Any ideas?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's really common for these little guys to retain some baby teeth as their adult ones are coming in. Teddy had to have all four canines pulled during his neuter. He honestly didn't seem sore at all (except for around his surgical incision.. his mouth seemed fine), so I wouldn't worry too much about that if my experience is anything to go by. :)

You can try giving chews, but more often than not the retained baby teeth will need to be pulled. If they're left in there they can contribute to excess plaque buildup in the mouth which will be a lot more painful (sore/bleeding gums, impaired heart function, potentially rotting teeth, etc.). I would cross my fingers that they come out before her spay, but if they don't, there's really no harm in having them pulled then.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'm with what Kaila has said. I, however, have no tips on getting them out.

Eden still had 5 or 6 baby teeth (at 9 months) when she was spayed. She had zero reaction when I touched around her mouth afterward. Since they are more hollow teeth intended to be lost it is not the same as us having adult teeth extracted.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I feel much better about it now, it never dawned on me that since they are meant to come out that pulling them wouldn't cause much pain.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Venus had 11 extra teeth. She kept them until she was around 2 when we got her from the shelter. She didn't get them pulled during the spay surgery because the vet who did it for the shelter didn't pull them. The vet only does what is on the card from the shelter and nothing else. The shelter didn't even tell me she had extra teeth so I was angry and told them to make sure they do a better job telling people about things they can easily see such as extra teeth. I never heard of retained baby teeth in any animal so I was surprised. I had to find out from a groomer that Venus had extra teeth. She got them pulled at our regular vet, and it was like nothing happened because she didn't miss a beat. She went through her spay surgery just as easily.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i was luckey with buster all teeth are fine i played throw wrapped together socks gently with him as a puppy and i think that helped him loose all baby teeth accordingly

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Retained teeth have to be pulled. Our vet explained that if the adult teeth dont push on the baby teeth then the baby roots dont disintegrate and need pulled. Gilda retained one canine and unfortunately, I didnt notice it until after her spay...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Both Zarita and Emmie had baby teeth until after 1 year old. The vet didn't pull them at 6 months spay, 'cause he wanted to wait and see if 'they were in there' rather than put them through x-rays. I also played a gentle 'tug of war' game with them to help the baby teeth loosen. Sue

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Her teeth aren't budging a bit bless her heart, and some times her lip (I guess its a lip..do dogs actually have lips?..lol) gets stuck on them kinda like this. View attachment 6608

I am probably showing my age but every time I see this all I can think of is
"pork chops and applesauce"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts