Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girls are 7.5 and 8 months and I feed them 2 times/day. Was verifying with the Ziwipeak folks to be certain that I am feeding proper amount at each feeding and they tell me that I should still be feeding them 3 times/day.
Well, I feel badly because I have not been for awhile.

Do you (or did you) feed your less than 12 month babies 3 times/day?

My girls are healthy and FULL of energy (and mischief). They are consistently gaining weight. I am eager to hear what you do or have done. I certainly may have misunderstood when I went to 2 times/day.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I used to kinda free feed, but have been starting to feed them just 2x a day, and they have actually been eating more. I never had a problem with Bella eating, but Izzie wouldn't eat very many at a time. She has actually been doing really well with just eating 2x a day! :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I feed mine a tiny bit of ZP in the morning and they free feed on Orijen the rest of the day. I am sure if your girls are gaining weight and are able to finish each meal then they are fine eating 2X. I have heard that you are supposed to feed twice a day ,three times, or even once. I am not sure which one is correct!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If it's working for your girls...I'd stick to it. ;) I honestly fed all my pups twice a day from 8 weeks old on & just gave them plenty of "treats" through out the day & they fared fine. Mari was our smallest at 1lb 14oz when we brought her home. Obviously if it was a tiny pup...three meals at least would be very important but your girls are old & big enough now & are obviously doing well on two times a day so I wouldn't mess with it myself. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!!

With everything we went through getting Hope's colitis under control, I hated to change anything. Heather-I am going to agree with you. They are doing INCREDIBLY well on ZP and I do not want to change anything as a result. They eat at 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. They sleep with us and EVERY day I start getting kisses right about 5:55. Time to eat! Like clocks, they are!

They get Stella and Chewy's treats as well. They are healthy, gaining girls so I am not gonna rock the tummy boat that we have gotten so settled!

·
Registered
236 Posts
We used to feed 2 times a day, but now I basically free feed dry even with Pebbles because I was worried with the early morning rush to get 3 kids ready for school/kinder I would forget to feed them. My 4 year old son often likes to join in on the free feeding too :pukeright: lol

I am really thinking we will go to a raw diet soon though & I think I wil feed twice a day then, I don't think it would be a problem at all.

Your girls are obviously thriving, so keep on doing what works for you :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I was feeding Bailey twice a day but vet said I should do 3 times a day so I tried. She's not really into eating again so I went back to twice a day and she's been fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feed Isabelle twice a day and she is around 7 months now, she gets treats through the day too.
If it's working for them, stick with it.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was feeding Lacey twice a day....she's slightly younger than your girls. She was doing fine until we had that vomiting episode a couple of weeks ago. Turns out she was hungry which caused her to vomit. Our vet recommended 4-5 meals a day for her:eek: But she is barely 2lbs at over 7 mos old. Now I know...if they vomit at night...feed them ;) Im still not feeding 5x a day but I now do 3-4. If her last meal is early...say 4ish...I give her a little something before bed to hold her til morning. Oh...she is raw fed...if that makes a difference ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
The ideal is twice a day when they are not so little anymore. Tequila is almost 5 months but I still feed her 3 times a day. But soon I will do it twice :)
Once a day is not reccomended at all...It can cause many problems like vomiting, poor things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The girls are 7.5 and 8 months and I feed them 2 times/day. Was verifying with the Ziwipeak folks to be certain that I am feeding proper amount at each feeding and they tell me that I should still be feeding them 3 times/day.
Well, I feel badly because I have not been for awhile.

Do you (or did you) feed your less than 12 month babies 3 times/day?

My girls are healthy and FULL of energy (and mischief). They are consistently gaining weight. I am eager to hear what you do or have done. I certainly may have misunderstood when I went to 2 times/day.
I feed my dog 3 times per day until she turned 8 months, then two times now. The main reason was that when I fed her two times, she liked to skip the breakfast or lunch. But then she ate it all in dinner times. So I changed to feed her at 11am and 7pm, and it worked perfect, that she ate all meals!

Her breeder who has 6 Chihuahuas also feed her dogs 2 times a day. They are perfectly healthy, don't worry! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts