Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, how many times a day does your chi go?
Sissy seems to go 4-5 times an hour!! We just got back from a walk, and no longer then 5 minutes after getting back she pees again (in house). Grrr. My dad hs already threatened to bring her back to the shelter!! I just can't seem to know what she wants... we go around the BIG block she pees & poos... Then she comes in again 5minutes and wa-la we see a wet spot, that wasn't there before.

What should i do?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would have her checked for a bladder infection by the Vet. Zoey pees probably 8-10 times a day but she is on chronic steroids for Hydrocephalus.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I would have her checked for a bladder infection by the Vet. Zoey pees probably 8-10 times a day but she is on chronic steroids for Hydrocephalus.
Totally agree! Something's going on with her. If it's not a kidney or bladder infection, it may be nerves, but I can be controlled once you find out what's wrong. Does she drink a lot of water?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sometimes going a lot is the only sign, sometimes you will see blood in the urine, sometimes they drink a lot sometimes they act like it hurts them to pee.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I actually never seen her drink much (or any) water. she's not in any pain, she is still energetic, etc. Perhaps a VET appointment is needed i dont' know, but she shouldn't be urinating right after a long walk. she is only 3... will be 4 april 30, 2011

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Urinating that many times in an hour isn't normal. I'd have her checked by your vet.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Anyway, how many times a day does your chi go?
Sissy seems to go 4-5 times an hour!! We just got back from a walk, and no longer then 5 minutes after getting back she pees again (in house). Grrr. My dad hs already threatened to bring her back to the shelter!! I just can't seem to know what she wants... we go around the BIG block she pees & poos... Then she comes in again 5minutes and wa-la we see a wet spot, that wasn't there before.

What should i do?
How much is she being fed and what are you feeding?

It sounds like Sissy needs to be crate trained. Also do you know at what age she was spayed? It sounds like she might be "marking", if she wasn't spayed until later on, those behaviors can be pretty ingrained.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Or could it be submissive urination?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Just as a general rule, even my 3.5 lb female, who must have the tiniest bladder in the world, goes 1x when she first gets up, 1x before we leave for work, 1x at lunch time, 1x when we get home around dinner time, and 1x before she goes to bed. So that is 5x a day. Laurel, who is 11 lbs, goes 3x a day and is just fine. They both let us know when they need to go out.

I always thought chi's "couldn't" hold it or really be house broken but when I re-crate trained Oakley due to her surgery, she is 100% reliable now.

On very RARE occasion, she will wake me up in the night to take her out. That sucks, but I'd rather she wake me up than pee on my bath mat he he he.

A LOT of people have trouble with rescues. Don't feel like you are alone. But please don't give up on her just yet, at least not until you have done crate training with her.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would definitely have her checked for infection, she could even have tiny 'crystals' in her urine, the doggy equivalent of kidney stones.

It's hard with a rescue baby. You don't know how much they were worked with before you got them, so basically, you have to start from scratch.

I've not noticed you mentioning using a crate, but forgive me if you have. Are you trying to crate train her???

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I would check her for an infection too it's not normal an 8 week puppy goes about once an hour!!

My 7 months old only goes about 8 x a day and my 1 year old goes about 5 x a day :)

I wondered if she was spayed I know not all rescues spay them and marking is a sign of an impending season? Idk or could she be incontinent.

I would re train her tho and have a word with your dad and explain you need to et her checked out and train her as if she's a puppy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts