Chihuahua People Forum banner

How much attention does a Chi. need??

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  laurelsmom 
#1 ·
I graduated college about a year ago and for the last 6 months I am now working full time consistently. It's been a rough adjustment but I feel like I still don't have enough quality time I'm spending with my Chi. Seems like all I do these days is work , cook , clean , run errands, relaxing with a 30min tv show , and sleep. And 5 min of hungs and kisses with my Chi.

Long term goal is to get an online job so I can work from home and spent more time with my Chi. However in order for me to do that I'm going to have to work really really hard studying and learning for that job while im working 40 hours a week!

I live in a small apartment by myself, I dreamed of having 2 if not 3 chi's (likely only 2 due to apartment limits) but I feel now is not a good time to be expanding our pack as training a new puppy and giving a new puppy love and attention means less time with my Vida. However then she would have a play buddy so long term I think it would be better... but just not ready.

Is it OK to start with my learn (thinking of it as a part time job) that is going to eat up even more of my free time. I been getting frustrated at time seeing my chi wanting more attention while I'm desperately trying to catch up on house work she wants to play or wants hugs and attention.

I just can't seem to get everything done. I couldn't dream of getting rid of her but, long term I'd want to be able to spend more time with her so maybe it's best to spend less time with here short term (6-18mo.) so long term we can have more time? She is already 8 years old so I worry that when I do have more time she will be old enough to be over playing and jumping around and just want to relax when I'm ready to go explore with here and have fun.

I feel like I financially I should be working 60+ hours a week but since I have her I been refusing to go over 40 hours a week. Thoughts? We been down on our walks since it's been the dead of winter here (far north) so that should help burn some energy as we love our 45min walks 3-5 times a week.

Anybody else struggling with this issue. I don't have friends / family / dog friends nor do I like the idea of going down that road. I like to keep my dog away from other dogs so she doesn't get hurt or get sick ect ect.

See less See more
#2 ·
Vida is a very lucky chi to have someone who loves her so much and is so concerned for her happiness. Remember that the time she does get to spend with you makes her happy. When you feel you are ready to give her a sibling, have you considered a senior chi that is already trained. This initial adjustment may be harder but after a couple weeks things will settle down. However, I am sure she is happy with the life she has now.

#3 ·
I brought home two chi’s right from the start for this same reason, and I have to say - they’re a blast to have together.

I think you’re doing the best thing you possibly can, as you have concern for your pup and you have foresight for how things will change in the future. I think it could definitely be challenging to bring home a new pup when you already feel so busy, what with babies being so needy in terms of attention and training.

I echo what was said above - an adult chi would be a great consideration, as it may take a bit for them to settle in but the bulk of your training & the likes should already be done with an adult. Plus, there’s so many that need good homes. (They seem to be very popular in the shelters here, sadly.)

When you’re ready, it may be a wonderful way to expand your pack without putting excess stress on yourself. Be sure to research for personality and such, though, to ensure that your adoptee will be a good match for your home. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I chose to go that route for Laurel.

Chocolate would not have done well at the shelter and had already been returned by the first person who wanted to adopt her. It's been a long road for both of us, but she was able to trust Laurel long before she was ready to trust another human. She has never been dangerous to my smaller, homegrown furbaby even though she is twice Laurel's size. My dog saved another dog's life.

It's a different kind of bond than the one I have with Laurel. Raising a puppy is a wonderful experience, but so is rescuing an older dog or a dog that has been traumatized.

Take your time and make sure that your Chi is going to be safe, but there are definitely a lot of Chis in shelters and otherwise in crisis situations. Dogs are pack animals just like us and you might all be happier and feel more like a family if you have room for one more.

#5 ·
Just a side note, not to hijack your thread: Real chihuahuas are almost nonexistent in shelters where we live. I watched everyday for over a year. That's some good news. (I say "real chis" because too often any dog under 20 lb. is labeled a chi here. Due to the Amish puppy mills alot of people have terriers that they have been told are chis. The puppy millers like to add lots of terrier because they have larger litters.)

#6 ·
It's the same way in the Hoopa puppy mills.

I'm not even sure that Choccers IS a Chi mix. I was told that she was Chi, Jack Russell, and German Shepherd. I don't take that but so seriously because it sounds like something an abusive man would tell his wife. She looks more like there's some Italian Greyhound in there somewhere and definitely a lot of some sort of terrier.

Laurel was sold to me as 3/4 Chi and 1/4 MinPin, but she certainly isn't that.

I would definitely be concerned about the safety of a less-than-6 lb purebred Chi left unattended with an unknown 20 lb mixed breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.