Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mirabelle is our first dog and she seems to sleep a lot, so I was wondering if this is normal. I normally work from home, and she sleeps all night (7-8 hours), and as soon as my wife leaves for work (about 8AM), she runs to the bed and goes back to sleep. She usually sleeps until about noon, eats and then naps off and on the rest of the day. She perks up about five PM and is generally active (and eats again) in the evening.

She is almost 11 months old and weighs 1 pound 14 ounces, so she is tiny, but she goes to the vet regularly and as far as I know is in good health.

How does this sleep pattern compare with other Chi's?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Sounds exactly like my 3 girls!
1 will be 3 in February, 1 will be 3 in June and 1 just turned a year old in November.

·
Registered
533 Posts
toby is almost two and he still sleeps alot. In fact he sleeps more now than he did when he was a baby. I think he might just be spoiled and lazy tho!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gizmo sleeps exaclty how you described yours sleeping.. sleeps all night, wakes at 6 a.m. when I get up to get the kids up and out the door, he then sleeps off and on till 3 or 4 then runs all evening..somedays sleeps alot more lol, he's 5 months

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think dogs sleep more than cats and cats sleep a LOT! lol Probably best described as a dognap.

But, a dog can be sound asleep snoring and dreaming in lala land... if the doorbell rings or if the ice cream man, postman, UPS truck, FedEx truck, water meter reader goes by... guess who is up and yapping at the window.

It's amazing how dogs can quickly be 'on guard'. Once the 'emergency' is over, back to lala land. Until the next episode! :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
That's exactly how much Yoshi sleeps, unless I am actively keeping her awake by taking her to the park or somewhere she can't sleep. Left to her own devices though, that's exactly what she's like.

·
Registered
803 Posts
yea mylo sleep all thru the nite (7-8hrs) or if i dnt have work (10-11hrs) , if i have work he goes n curls up on anyones bed and sleeps till i cum home, i then take him walkies and wen we get home he will sleep then have dinner, then i go round my bf and he sleeps all evening and then all nite lol....

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Must be a chi trait, LOL! My boy would sleep all day and all night if I let him. Usually on my lap or maybe watching the game with my husband. He is 1 yr 9 months.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
Twig is just over a year and she will sleep all night get up for brekkie and morning walk then sit on my lap while im working - then we usually go to my mums so she can have a run in the garden which she does for a couple of hours - she will then sleep all afternoon just wake up for mid afternoon walk then sleep until my bf comes in from work and play with the cat and be active for a few hours have dinner then nap on and off till bedtime

·
Registered
877 Posts
Jinxy loves sleeping. It's normal, don't worry about it. Mirabelle is tiny! Can you post a pic of her? I would love to see her.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes, chis sleep a lot.
I think it’s a breed trait :)
Lizzie sleeping much much much more than my yorkie.
My yorkie can run all day long (and when he was a puppy, it was also all night long).
And I am getting very tired of this, because he is active non stop and always run and barks on everything, and when one of his toys drops under the arm chair, he gets totally mad and wine and cry…

Much better when a dog sleep a lot..imho :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Tuckie spends the evening sleeping in hubby's lap. Then, I bring him upstairs and he usually goes to sleep 11 or so and will sleep until NOON if I let him! Then, he naps throughout the day on my lap or next to me (like now). Laxy bones will walk and play, but he just loves to nap.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds close to ours! Both Corky and Lizzy sleep through the night (9pm-6am) then get up and play until about 8am, nap until I get home at noon and play for an hour. Then back to bed!

When hubby gets home around 2pm they play hard until 4-5 then take a nap, play hard and then bedtime!

It doesn't sound like there is anything out of the ordinary with her sleep patterns!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yusuke is definately a sleeper. He sleeps all night in his kennel in the kitchen and then is up with my husband and I at 4am for PT. Then he's out like a light until we come home for showers and breakfast, then he's playing with the kitty we have and chewing on my boot laces. Then he'll sleep all day until we come for lunch and then until the day is over at 5pm, then he's up and he wants to PLAY! So we play until 9, then it's bedtime again.

Best part is, he still hasn't quite figured out how to bark. So he just whines when we come in the door to be let out. My neighbors have never complained once.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts