Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still not sure how much I should feed the puppy per feeding .
Right now I feed him 3 times a day 5-5:30 am - 11- 11:30 am during the day some treats , maybe some banana and in the evening around 5:30- 6:00 pm, every feeding time I give him 1/4 of a cup of dryfood and in the evening just a spoonful of wet food mixed into the dryfood.
Is this to much ? not enouyh ?
I don't want to free feed him, pluse I think Peanut would hunt Amigos food down all day long.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How old is your pup and what type of dry food are you feeding him? Has the vet instructed you to feed Amigo three times a day? Let me know :wave:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Three times a day sounds good to me. That's what our vet told us to do with Stella & Luna when they were little. We fed them Puppy chow(still feed stella with them) One thing that Chis also love, "as snacks", are apples so every once in a while me and my hubby give them some little pieces. :tongue8:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pango_Mom,

Amigo is now 14 weeks old, we feed him " Natural " dry food for small breeds.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Simone said:
Pango_Mom,

Amigo is now 14 weeks old, we feed him " Natural " dry food for small breeds.
It sounds like you are feeding him the right amount. When you feed him to he eat it all or leaves some. If he eats it all that a good sign. If he leaves some just serve a smaller portion next time. I feed Pango twice a day 1/2 a cup each time. He is also on a diet (he is a little ham). Also the fruit snacks are perfect for little Chis. Pango just loves apples, bananas, and sometimes if mom is nice a little serving of frozen non fat vanilla yogurt. I don't think there is anything wrong with the amount you are feeding Peanuts "Mini Me"Amigo. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks a lot.
The vet didn't tell me anything about feeding,(but I also didn't ask her
:( .)
I was just worried that it would be to much because the breeder said a 3/4 cup when he is adult. But she free fed him . And I really want to control what /how much he eats.
Amigo eats everything and some if I would let him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1/4 cup for the whole day ???
Now I am confiused, like I said in a one of the other posts. I feed Amigo 3 times a day , each time a 1/4 cup and he eats all of it.
He is now 3 month old and weighs 3- 3,1/2 pound.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Simone said:
1/4 cup for the whole day ???
Now I am confiused, like I said in a one of the other posts. I feed Amigo 3 times a day , each time a 1/4 cup and he eats all of it.
He is now 3 month old and weighs 3- 3,1/2 pound.
Sorry...forgot to add that CoCo is 4 pounds full grown. She is 2 1/2 years old. Your Amigo is still a puppy and is still growing. CoCo isn't. Besides, I think my son sneaks her cerial in the morning when he is munching on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feed my chis once a day in the evening.. each meal consists of 2 tablespoon of kibbles.. sometimes, they can't even finish :?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Hi,
I feed all three of my chi's twice a day, once before I leave for class (in the morning) and once when I get home from work (evening).

I was told by my vet that the directions on the back of dog food bags are a good measurment to go by...usually the bag tell you to feed just a little more then your pup will probably eat.

It is a great idea to control when your pup eats...helps with potty training, helps with weight control, and it allows them to know you are in charge, just in case they decide to challange you (usually not the case).

I feed both Tequila and Kylie one small handfull of kibble twice a day, Ginger I feed more because she is younger. Kylie is on a diet though (since her surgeries she has been less active = more weight has been put on) so she has different food.

General rule is that a dog will eat less and less as they get older...so if you notice they tell you to feed a puppy more then an adult, that is why...since they stop growing they dont need to eat quite as much. Tequila is going to be one year old tomorrow and I have noticed her appitite has lessened the past couple months.

-Jessica

·
Registered
250 Posts
Simone, sorry to have "borrowed" your post, but I didn't want to open another with the same question.

My baby is 8 weeks and I've been told to feed her tinned food in the morning and evening and let her munch on dry food through out the day. She says I should eventually wean her off of the wet food altogether, but that's proving to be difficult. She really gobbles the wet stuff, but if I put 10 bits of dry food, there are eight by the evening.

Should I get her off the wet stuff cold turkey??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't worry, "Sweety"

Amigo is now 6 month old and has 4,50, I still feed him 3 times a day each 1/4 of a cup and in the evening he gets some wet food into the dry food. He is running around with Peanut(yellow Lab) they are the best buddy's. Anyway , now I want to get him of the lunch time and just feed him twice. He still is on "IAMS puppy food for small breed" and this Cesar wet food. I think as soon as I put him on Adult food for small breeds , he will eat less.(just a guess)

Sweety because of your wet food problem , personal I think it is ok to feed the dog SOME wet food. Like Peanut He gets in the morning his dry food and during the day some treats "tooth" friendly and in the evening he also gets wet food mixed with either Veg, or rice, maybe some pasta and some dry food for the crunch. But with the wet food he is on Weight control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re:feedings

I have owned 5 chi's in the past and I just got a pup. He is 11 weeks old. The way I feed him and all the others in the past is that I take a 5.5 oz. can of ol'boy dog food and divide it into quarters. I give him a quarter of the can and a tablespoon of dry Eukanuba small breed puppy mixed. I do this 3 times a day. I also trained him to go in a litter box as I have with all my chi's. It's the best thing. But it is very important to keep eatting times set. This way it is easy on the owner to house train your chi...Here is a picture of the little guy...(NIMO)...As you can see his ears are starting to stay up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok...I'm confused now too. My lil pup is about 10-11 weeks old (and weighs maybe 2 lbs - definitely less - she hasn't been weighed at the vet yet so I have no clue really how much she weighs). I'm feeding her apprx 1/4 cup per day...I split it up throughout the day and feed her 4 times per day. I don't think I'm feeding her enough now. I feel like a bad mommy :shock: But she's a little butterball and I'm worried that if I put all her food down for her she'll just eat until she blows up. OH NO! I feel awful :cry:

·
Registered
368 Posts
IM JUST CNFUSED SHOULD YOU TAKE THE FOOD AWAY AROUND 30MINS AFTER U HAV PUT IT DOWN TO GET THEM USED TO EATIN CONTROLLED AMOUNTS AND HELPING WITH TOILET, AND THEN TAKE AWAY THE WATER AT AROUND 7PM TO STOP ACCIDENTS IN THE NI8GHT
IM GETTING TOLD O MANY THINGS MY BRAIN IS GOING ROUND AND ROUND
LOL
JO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :wave:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts