·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people think the only costs related to having a Chihuahua are the initial
price paid for their pup, some food, and their puppy vaccinations. Well, I
have finished my Financial Plan for 2010, and here is the anticipated Budget
for Tabitha and Jerry:

$34 monthly - food/treats (Top Grade Food)
$45 monthly - one full groom each (bath, nails, ears, trim, tip)
$39 monthly - Jerry PetPlan Insurance
$37 monthly - Tabitha PetPlan Insurance
Total monthly for the year: 155 x 12 = $1860

$184 annual - Frontline and Interceptor
$10 annual - dog license
$82 Vet - April Bordatella/DA2PP vacs
$112 Vet - July Annual Exam, Rabies Vac each
$36 Vet - Oct Bordatella Vac each
$20 two washable cat beds
$96 - Collars, Harnesses, Leash, Toys

Grand Total: $2400 per year/ $200 per month / $100 a month per Chi

And, of course, there are gifts, and other just fun stuff. I know many people
do their own grooming, so that could cut $540. It still leaves $155 a month
for the two of them.

These costs DO NOT include:
Illness/Accident/Meds ($50 deductible)
Trips, Crates, Ex-Pens, and other "Chi Furniture"

Now, I challenge you to post your 2010 budget :)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Gosh when you put it like that Therese! Expensive wee animals lol!

I certainly think you need to be financially secure before thinking about pets, I hate to hear that a pet is sick and the owner cannot afford to take them to the vets, makes me mad.

In the last 2 days with Rocky having had diahorrea it has cost me £40, thats an unexpected bill.

He is worth every penny though!! xxx

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Great breakdown! I refuse to calculate how much I spend on my pets annually...if I did I would probably pass out, just our monthly expenses are already sky high and we're probably going to have another chi in a few weeks. Yikes! lol I agree with Lisa though, they are worth it!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It's good to set aside $$ for unexpected vet bills also. Brody's eye problems back in the fall cost $1500. Insurance is a good idea.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These costs DO NOT include:
Illness/Accident/Meds ($50 deductible)
It's good to set aside $$ for unexpected vet bills also. Brody's eye problems back in the fall cost $1500. Insurance is a good idea.
The insurance is 100% of the illness/accident and I pay $50 deductible. I have the Gold coverage...
Of course, I have to pay the bill first and wait a couple weeks for reimbursement. I just see that as a cashflow issue as opposed to expense.

Yes, expensive little critters :) gotta love 'em!

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are all in agreement--our babies are worth every penny :)

My hope is that readers will look ahead and be ready financially. No one wants
to see a Chi suffer or a Chi Parent under stress trying to come up with enough
for a Vet bill...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I do think the insurance helps to budget, whether it covers accidents/illnesses/well visits, etc. at least it covers something.
Really it is a big financial comittment--probably about $350 a month for everything----from piddle -pads to playgroup-to kibble and vaccines--dental--the lot.

Vet expenses and dog sitters, etc. tend to be more $$ here than other places.

We have taken Rico to hotels with us and other times he goes to the doggie sitter...it cost $$ either way.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I dont have a chi yet but i'll still post with the cost of owning a pit.

I have never done the math my my sister says we easily spend $900 a year on ty if we only calculate food, treats, the occassional toy, and a coat for the winter. Most of the money we spend on Ty is her food which costs about $600 - $650 a year

At the vet i would say we spend a total of maybe $250 a year for check ups and boosters.

So roughly $1150 a year for one dog and i think we get off easy because we dont have to pay for grooming/dental since i do that myself, puppysitters (thank god for my sisters), and we dont have pet insurrance.

I can only imagine what the owners of high maintance dogs pay annually.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
In the past 6 months I've spent $633.00 on Jazz, and $240.00 on Tango. That's just Vet bills. Higher for Jazz because she was ill when I rescued her she had to be brought back to health, and then there was her spay. Tango needs a dental in the next couple months and that will cost around $245.00. A couple months after that, Jazz will need her 1 year wellness check, shots, heartgard test etc., and that's another $155.00.

Their routine care every year~~wellness checks and yearly shots, dentals, blood work (I do bloodwork once a year so I have a baseline and can monitor changes) is around $975.00.

That doesn't include their food, treats, any emergency care, clothing, blankies, beds, pee pads, collars, leashes, tags, nail clips etc. Just routine Vet care. It also doesn't include grooming, because I do that myself other than their nails. Yes, they are expensive little critters. Good thing they're so damn cute! :love4:

·
Registered
43 Posts
with me i am spending
$40 on food per month to feed 2 golden retrievers and Rascal
$40 for heartworm for rascal last 6 months
$80 for 3 yearly vaccination
$2 for worming every 3 months
$6 for bones last him a month
I only take my dogs to the vet when needed, they never had to have there teeth cleaned. I also only treat for fleas if they have them as i don't want to use to much chemicals on my dogs. Rascal gets bathed with eucalyptus wool wash which kills fleas.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Well, I'm gonna take a stab at this, I'm sure I'll forget something lol but this is what's on the top of my head:

$30 a month on dog food, not including the foods that I cook for them once a while
$9 a month on Heartgard
$12 a month on Frontline
$20 give or take on toys and treats a month
$70 roughly a year on toothpaste, ear wash, eye wash, clippers, and shampoo and bath supplies
Then of course about $140 a year all together for their yearly exams and vaccinations

So that's roughly $1,062 per year for 2 dogs. Honestly I thought it would be a lot more, but, like I said, I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

EDIT: I forgot their licenses, which is $20 a year for both dogs. So roughly $1,082 per year.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'll give this a shot, I'm sure I'll forget stuff but here's what I remember...

$35/month for food for 3 border collies and Lilo
$40/year for heartworm preventative for each dog so $160 total
$80/year for Frontline for all dogs (I get the giant size and split it between all of them)
$20/year/dog for vaccines (I only give 1 vaccine a year. Year 1 is Rabies, Year 2 is Distemper/parvo, Year 3 is nothing and then start over with Year 4 being Rabies) so $80 total
$20/dog for yearly bloodwork so $80 total

Not sure on toy money. I buy at the dollar store so it stays pretty low.
I've probably spent more money on Lilo's clothes lately. :), $50 since I got her.

So grand total is about $870 for the year and about $72.50 for each month for 3 border collies and 1 chihuahua. Really the chihuahua increases things very little for me.

Keep in mind that I work for a vet so I get stuff like vaccines, heartworm preventative and frontline for cheap and exams and such for free. I do all grooming, nail trimming and such. I take them with me on vacations and if I can't I have a friend who stays with them for free.

Olivia

1 - 20 of 26 Posts