Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to order the food Paris eats online from Petco since we don't have anyone around here that carries the Natural Balance foods. I want to get on their 'continuous bowl' program so that it will just automatically be delivered every so many weeks. Paris should be around 1.5 pounds (and 10 weeks old) when I get her. I'm going to order a 5 pound bag. How long do you think 5 pounds of food will last her? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? etc.? :dontknow:

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
:?: :?: maybe you can just see how long she does over the bag and then go on the continuous bowl program? it can vary from dog to dog so i can't give you an answer :wink:

kisses nat

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
yes it can vary plus puppies will eat more than older dogs so generally you are looking at 3-4 1/4 cup meals.....(maybe that is too much) I never measured.

I did measure once now that they are down to 2 meals and they get a 1/2 cup (maybe a tad less) total a day plus treats and they are just fine.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo eats 1/2 a cup a day, sometimes more...it really depends on his day...lately he has been eating a lot less...

Maybe like Nathalie suggested just order one bag first and see how long it lasts, then from there you can have them send it to you according to when you need it based on your study...

LOL "study" like it;s a science project... :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, thanks ladies. That's what I'll do..just buy 1 bag and see how long it lasts. Too bad I didn't think of that! :lol: :shock: :wink: :oops:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
We bought a 3 lb bag of Royal Canin about 4 months ago and we give him half of 1/8 cup in the morning and 1/8 cup in the evening with melted chees on it.. he loves it.. I was fee feeding him but he stopped liking that and started liking it when I would give him his food on the couchin the morning... No he is not spoiled.... he is well spoiled... hehehehhe

I know bad habit for him to eat on the couch... but that is what he does.. he will not eat it out of the bowl in the morning... don't ask me why...
not even if I put the bowl on the couch.. his food has to be on the couch...

we need to go to pestmart this weekend

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
mine all have 4 meals a day when they are babies then as they get older it goes to 3 then to two the more petit they are the more i like to make sure they are constantly gettng everything they need jacob is quite small so i stil watch what he is eating very carefully at the mo im trying to get some bulk on him

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you just plonk the food down it will be different all the time, depending on how much exercise they do. With mine, I play hard with him for about ten minutes before each of his 4meals and he then gobbles it. If I dont he just grazes and doesnt eat very much (well doesnt need to i suppose) They seem to let you know either way, if he leaving part of his breakfast everyday for a few days cut it down. I think you just have to get a routine and stick to it, if you cant then he will let you know by not eating much or looking for more. Thats what I've found anyway,

James

·
Registered
175 Posts
chihuahua-lady said:
mine all have 4 meals a day when they are babies then as they get older it goes to 3 then to two the more petit they are the more i like to make sure they are constantly gettng everything they need jacob is quite small so i stil watch what he is eating very carefully at the mo im trying to get some bulk on him
He is sooooo cute. Is he a long hair? How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
chiwi gets 1/8 cup about 3-4 times a day depending if she eats the last one or not. sometimes she does sometimes she doesn't. i read a good article once that said to watch your dog not the bowl. feed them the "recomended" amount on the back of the bag and if you notice too much weight gain cut it back, if you notice weight loss add some.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Gadget's Mom said:
I know bad habit for him to eat on the couch... but that is what he does.. he will not eat it out of the bowl in the morning... don't ask me why...
My boy will only eat his breakfast in MY bed , not in a bowl I have to scatter it on my bed !! :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fizzys mum said:
Gadget's Mom said:
My boy will only eat his breakfast in MY bed , not in a bowl I have to scatter it on my bed !! :lol:
:lol: :lol: I can just picture it!! I read a great article that says eating can become boring for them, so to stimulate new involvement and also to give them entertainment it's good to move their dish around and even scatter their food in different places. It's like a maze...I scatter it on the patio or in the family room, different places and punky has so much fun running around and eating it! She loves the game!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
my chihuahua has to have hers blended otherwise she has bloating gas since she eats like a pig. you know what i mean she does not chew the kibbles. any advice as the amount to be given is 1/2 a cup and crushed i am not sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts