Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting another chi well atleast looking at them probably wont get another for 6 months or so and was wondering what a good price for a AKC registered Chi would be here in the states?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I know you can find pet quality AKC Chis for around $500-$700 in the U.S, so pretty inexpensive! Some of the more expensive can run around $1000 and up if you want show quality and champion bloodlines.

I know because I was looking at U.S. listings and breeder websites when I was searching for my Chi puppy. I wanted SKK registered, but just couldn't afford it since the females are upwards of $2000. Gemma was $1500 and she's not even SKK registered.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I bought a champion sired, AKC registered 3 year old for $550. She came from a local breeder. She was spayed, up to date on shots and had just had a dental cleaning. In fact, I would happily promote Faerie Garden Chihuahuas. I had a great experience with them. The owner clearly loves her dogs and their puppies and has been extremely responsive to my questions since adopting. New pups are up to 1200 but we did not want a puppy. Lady is delighful dog with good manners all around, not to mention sooooooooo cute!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I bought a champion sired, AKA registered 3 year old for $550. She came from a local breeder. She was spayed, up to date on shots and had just had a dental cleaning. In fact, I would happily promote Faire Garden Chihuahuas. I had a great experience with them. The owner clearly loves her dogs and their puppies and has been extremely responsive to my questions since adopting. Lady is delighful dog with good manners all around, not to mention sooooooooo cute!
If only puppies were so inexpensive here. I would have three Chihuahuas by now! Gemma's spay is going to cost more than a U.S. AKC registered Chi puppy. It's nuts!

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I have seen them listed from 400$ to 5,000$ its been so hard to find a good breeder with all the breeding and ads everywhere
You are not that far from SC. Check out the breeder I mentioned. Her dogs are to breed standard and registered, plus she is down to earth small scale breeder. If you do check them out, tell them Lady's mom is spoiling her rotten!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Wow, vet care is that expensive?
Yes, it's very expensive here. Gemma's spay will cost anywhere between $700 and $1000. I didn't know they were that expensive before we got her, to be honest. Her vaccines only cost us $50 and that's what I would have paid back home where I come from in the States as well. But spays there for a puppy her size are more like $250. So the price of spaying here shocked me.

Wow thats crazy. obviously there is a reason behind them costing so much to spay/ nueter and to buy where your at.
Yeah, the cost of living is just much higher in Sweden than in the U.S. My general rule of thumb here when people from home ask how much things cost is that everything is at least double the price as the U.S. :p For example, gas is over $8 per gallon.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My 3 are all AKC registered.

Only one has a Champion sire. He has belonged to a number of breeders so I keep thinking that I will run across someone here who has a baby that he is the sire or grand sire.

All mine were sold as pets although I received full AKC registration on 2 (should not have gotten full on any). All should have come with Limited AKC registration.

Each was $500. I would expect to pay $500-$1,000 in the future for the type of dog I would seek.

Through the experience, I now know where I would get another if the occasion arose. It does not matter if they all equally loved their dogs to bits, not all AKC breeders are equal. I learned this lesson.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 3 are all AKC registered.

Only one has a Champion sire. He has belonged to a number of breeders so I keep thinking that I will run across someone here who has a baby that he is the sire or grand sire.

All mine were sold as pets although I received full AKC registration on 2 (should not have gotten full on any). All should have come with Limited AKC registration.

Each was $500. I would expect to pay $500-$1,000 in the future for the type of dog I would seek.

Through the experience, I now know where I would get another if the occasion arose. It does not matter if they all equally loved their dogs to bits, not all AKC breeders are equal. I learned this lesson.
Really? How did you find that out? I am just curious because I really don't know how to pick out a breeder for our next future pup. They all make their website look so nice and stuff. Also a lot of breeders would def. not go out of the way to bring the pup to you and what not. If you actually are interested it's usually always "too bad so sad" if you can't get there. I've emailed a few breeders who aren't very helpful to my questions.

Also, here CKC (same thing as AKC) costs anywhere around 700-1000 but no less. Probably depends on where you are.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby was $400. I was looking for a 5-6 lb boy, which are not in high demand here. He has limited AKC registration (aka he cannot be bred). Rocky was $150 with limited AKC because he is going to be larger than standard. This was in central Florida.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I don't think it is the gold standard it is just the only American registry that actually has standards, lol. The other registries in the USA are really a joke- they let any dog be registered and have no real requirements. So the AKC is considered the only reputable registry. That doesn't mean that unregistered dogs or dogs registered with other organizations cannot be healthy happy animals. And it doesn't mean that all AKC registered dogs are going to be great. It is just a way to guarantee that a dog is purebred and that the breeder is semi-responsible. It doesn't replace the new for health checks, etc in dogs that re potentially going to be bred.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I don't think it is the gold standard it is just the only American registry that actually has standards, lol. The other registries in the USA are really a joke- they let any dog be registered and have no real requirements. So the AKC is considered the only reputable registry. That doesn't mean that unregistered dogs or dogs registered with other organizations cannot be healthy happy animals. And it doesn't mean that all AKC registered dogs are going to be great. It is just a way to guarantee that a dog is purebred and that the breeder is semi-responsible. It doesn't replace the new for health checks, etc in dogs that re potentially going to be bred.
True, true and true!
Perfectly stated!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Full AKC registration means that they can be bred. Limited registration means that any litters that the dog had cannot be regiatered with the AKC. Technically, they can be bred but the puppies would either be unregistered or registered with some other organization with fewer requirements. These are often "pet quality" dogs that do not meet the standard in some way. Many breeders sell them with spay/neuter contracts.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Out of curiousity, is there any reason why I should transfer Lady's AKC certificate to my name? I see there is a process for doing that on the back of the certificate (and, of course, a cost)! Obviously I will never breed her, she is three and was spayed just before I got her. She is long coat and I can't wait for her fur to grow back. I also laugh in that her registered name is Aero's Lady for the Night. I was not necessarily looking for a registered dog but what thrilled by the temperament of this one and how cute she is with her little black mask.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.