Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm finally starting to get the hang of the idea of how often Fen needs to go outside to go potty. The biggest issue I am having is that he's going fine after feeds, or first thing in the morning, but during the times inbetween he won't go outside then when we get back in he will go. Sometimes I'm out there for 40 minutes. It's getting a bit silly.

So I am thinking of properly crate training him. We have a plastic carrier (like for cats) that he sleeps in at night. He goes the whole night and NEVER has to go toilet (he waits until the morning). Sometimes if I need to sleep during the day, I crate him and take him upstairs with me. If he needs to go, then he whines and wakes me up and I take him out.

What I am wondering is how long is too long to crate him? To me it makes sense that if I am utilising his natural desire NOT to go in the crate, to then make him learn to go outside, that I need to crate him pretty often during the day. Something like this schedule for him: get up, go toilet, have breakfast, play, go toilet, crate for a couple of hours, go toilet (if he goes then more play, if he doesn't then re-crate for 30 minutes and try again), cuddle time, play time, go toilet, crate for a couple of hours, etc - repeat until dinner, then toilet, play time/cuddle time, toilet, crate, toilet, play time, toilet, bed time. He is on a twice-a-day feeding schedule and doing fine on it.

I feel like that's too much time spent in a crate, but clearly if he's allowed to just wander around the sitting room and he last went toilet an hour or more ago, chances are high he's just going to squat and pee anywhere. I keep thinking I'm not quite grasping the idea that for him to learn to pee on a schedule he'd need to be crated. Would this continue his whole life or at some point, in theory, would he be able to be trusted to be in the house without fear of peeing?

He's my first dog (only ever been a cat owner) and I badly need the reassurance that it's not cruel to crate him for maybe six hours in a day (between the hours of 8am and 11pm, but spread out over that time).

Sorry for all the posts/questions - I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The only time I crated Gracie was when I couldn't watch her, and by 'watch her', I mean NOT let her out of my sight. I could always tell when she was thinking about pottying, so it was easy enough to snatch her up and run outside with her.

As they mature, the crating gets less and less, because they can 'hold it' longer in between trips outside.

Yes, it will seem like they are in the crate alot initially, but that's the purpose of crate training - so you can gain control.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What you've described is very reasonable in my opinion. As they get older and better at potty training then yes, the time spent in the crate will decrease.

One thing I would change is the amount of time you are spending outside. Take him out, give him 5-10 minutes to potty then back inside and in the crate if he doesn't go. Don't stay out there for 40 minutes at a time and don't walk around with him. Stand in one spot and allow him to sniff around in a circle on leash (a standard leash, not a flexi lead!!). If you walk around there is always something new to sniff and explore and he will forget to potty and then go when you get inside in a more boring environment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts