Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive posted about this a few times before but Im still having some problems with Chili & his food addiction. He is always hunting for food & he eats non stop if you let him he was 8.5 lbs the last time he went to the vet (last month) he is a deer type chi with very long legs & a long body. Im trying to get him to gain some weight people are starting to make comments that it looks like Im starving him. Ive tried wet food but he cant eat that so Im just incressing the amount of dry food he gets he is eating nutro natural choice I was wondering how much more I should feed him he is eating 1 cup a day now. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Actually I would ignore peoples comments and go by your vets opinion of his weight. Does your vet think he is too thin?
That said, you can try giving him 1/4 cup extra per day for a month, if he doesn't look like he has gained any weight increase it another 1/4 cup for a month and reasses.
You have to be careful because you don't want him to just keep on gaining weight. At some point you'll have to cut back again to maintain the weight and not put on any more. ;)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
You know how all people are different, some people can eat all they want and never gain an ounce (gawd I hate them!) and some people hardly anything and immediatly gain a pound, some people have to watch what they eat constantly.
Dogs are like that too. I have one that is very thin, one that is medium build and one that is a pudge :D
Give him a litte more if you feel like you don't like his weight, just be careful so you don't over do it. You dont want to comprimise his health for his looks.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he has been checked for everything that would cause him not to gain weight & ther is nothing wrong with him so Im beginning to think this is just how he is supposed to look.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If your vet is telling you he's checked for everything and there's nothing wrong with the dog...then I'd seriously consider getting another opinion from a different vet.

With a dog so thin that people are questioning if he' s being starved despite an abnormally huge appetite, there's got to be something wrong with the poor little thing. If this were a person, they'd be thinking tapeworm or God forbid, cancer. One of cardinal signs of tapeworm is weight loss and a voracious appetite. Did that vet check for tapeworm and if so, are you certain he really did????

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think thin is healthier (as long as your vet has checked him out). Just like with people, thin dogs have way fewer health issues, are more active, etc. etc..

I had a dog that was skinny his whole life. He lived to be 18, never sick until he died.

·
Registered
216 Posts
BlackJack is natually thin, my vet said he is just fine. He hasn't been sick yet (knock on wood) He has put on a "tad" (I'm talking a couple ounces) more weight since I started him on raw. But It seems to be more muscle.

I wouldn't worry about it so much :) Your feeding him right, he has been vet checked :) I have noticed chi's come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Most around here are really overweight.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hiya, Scruffy is thin too (although he weights 3kg) and always looks thin no matter what or how much he eats. I agree that some dogs are just slender by nature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts