Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much protein should a Chihuahua puppy have in his/her dry food, especially if they are on the small side? The breeder was feeding her some type of off brand food called PRIDE dog food and I have never heard of that brand in my life. They also told me to only feed her food that had 22% protein in it but that sees kind of low to me, am I wrong? I want to get her started on the Diamond Naturals but don't know if the protein % is too high. She turned 7 weeks old on Tuesday of this week.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You may want to try a more premium brand as Diamond is not a very good dog food. Go to Dogfoodanalysis.com and look for a 5 or 6 star food that is good for small breed puppies. I like Wellness myself, some like Royal Canine, etc.. They rate dog foods at this site 1 to 6 stars 6 being the best and will tell you why it is not a good food. You can look Diamond up and it will tell you exactly what is in it that makes it bad ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diamond Naturals has no corn, wheat, or soy and the first two ingredients are chicken & chicken meal, so I thought that was good, guess I was wrong, huh?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Diamond has had more than it's share of recalls. They also run the gamut from "trash" food all the way to the premium foods, but they share the same manufacturing facilities. The particular food you are looking at, the Diamond Naturals, might look OK on paper. It's just that the parent company has some strikes against it.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question...
As puppies my dogs ate Royal Canin Indoor Puppy 27 which is 27% Protein.
Now, they are over a year old, I feed Wellness Core; It's 34% protein and Grain-Free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Brodysmom for the information. I will have to do more research on the company itself. I feed my two pugs Diamond Naturals, so I will be changing. Thanks to everyone else also for your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts