Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so apple seems to be getting chubby in the past week or so....i started out feeding her ground chicken carcass that my butcher makes into blocks and freezes.....the chicken is bone and meat but no organs.
i then started buying beef blocks from the butcher but the beef blocks dont have any bone and instead are all the organs and meat ground up.

since i started feeding her the beef blocks she seems to have packed on some weight (shes not fat im over reacting) but she has definalty become rounder.

my problem is i have no idea how much i should be feeding her so i have just been giving her about 3 times a day and havent really been monitoring how much.

she is 25 weeks today...and last time she was had her weight taken she was 3 lbs 6 oz.

how much approx should her daily intake be??? thanks!!!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Use this calculator .....

Calculate

Some people go by the 10% of a puppy's current weight, but it's easier to just project on about 3% of her anticipated adult weight. If she's about 6 months old now, she's probably going to be at least a 5 pound adult, maybe 6 pounds. So that would figure out to be about 3 ounces a day.

An ounce is about the size of a regular ice cube, or about a tablespoon. So I would guess if you aren't really measuring, she's probably gaining weight because you are feeding too much. Raw fed dogs don't need much food at all because it is ALL bioavailable. There's no fillers and no extra processing. Their bodies will use what you give them with very little waste. (Hence the small poops).

I'd just cut back her portions and go from there. I'm glad you have the beef variety to use along with the chicken. If the beef has the organs, you are there. Along with the chicken, which has the ground bone - you should all balance out if you feed a variety of these two minces. I'd suggest you get a small chicken to portion out or chicken necks/wings and replace a couple meals a week with a wing or neck for recreational chewing. That will clean her teeth and give her a workout in addition to the nutrition.

Keep a close eye on her body condition. Lean is best. Pudgy roly poly puppies grow up to be pudgy adults, so keep her in good form. You should be able to feel her ribs, but not see them. If you have to press to find ribs, she's too heavy. At 6 months old, she could probably go to two larger meals rather than three meals a day if you want. It's up to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts