Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm conducting a little market research and wondered if I could call upon my fellow chi-lovers for your opinions...

In 2016, I'm going to be selling handmade dog collars (and possibly matching leashes) and it would be really useful to know what you guys would consider to be a fair price for a handmade collar?

Also, how many collars do you have for your pup and do you buy them often?

I have an obsession with collars and accessories for Molly and wasn't sure if this was normal or not LOL!

Thanks everyone for your time xx

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I make handmade dog collars, and tbh the prices people are prepared to pay totally depends on the materials and quality, and also where you are planning to sell them.
The best market research I did was visiting the really top end doggy boutiques in London and seeing the different ranges they sell.
If you are trying to make collars as a business, it is difficult to make them at an affordable price and still make a profit as they are pretty labour intensive

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks WP. It's not a business venture as I have a full-time job, it's more a way to fund something I love to do. Early days at the moment and might amount to nothing but I do like a new project :)

Where do you sell yours?

Xx

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I have an obsession for collars too I'm always buying them, for me though I love to find something different.
So if you could incorporate some unique charms into the design I think that would be a good idea, also more personal.
I think the matching leashes would be great too.
For me the price would depend on what materials were used and the overall quality. You could do a combo price, say like "if you add on the matching leash there's an overall discount."
I think the price also depends on where you are selling them, like at a craft fair or online. As long as it's conpetitive with similar items and suits potential customers it should be successful :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jessica! I actually have some charms on order :) at the moment I have tiny 'made with love' tags and bows, looking at bells and little festive bits. I am in my element LOL! x

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I love collars and have loads of them. I used to buy handmade collars from Greenbelts on Etsy. So I have a ton from her. There is almost no limit to what I'll pay for anything that I love and is within my means.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd love to see some hand made halters. Only my service dog wears a collar just to hold her special photo service dog I.D. when we go out. In the house and yard they don't wear anything. Living in the woods like I do it's too easy for them to catch a collar or harness on a bush.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much everyone. I might upload some photos at some point if you didn't mind. I'd welcome your views and critique.
Molly now has more collars than I have clothes LOL xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seriously I would by one if it was at a reasonable price and if you could stitch a bell on it. As Abbi dog has a habit of getting under feet in the house and we like to know where she is. At this time she chews on the bells which dangle. And I have no idea on how to address that other then to do what I do now. Change it out when she chews on the bell.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seriously I would by one if it was at a reasonable price and if you could stitch a bell on it. As Abbi dog has a habit of getting under feet in the house and we like to know where she is. At this time she chews on the bells which dangle. And I have no idea on how to address that other then to do what I do now. Change it out when she chews on the bell.

I would be happy to have a go at this for you! At the moment the smallest width hardware I have is 15 mm which is perfect for my girl and she is 3kg standard - would that fit your girl? I'm not sure how jangly the bell would be if it was stitched down but I'll have a play around and Abbi dog can be the test subject ;) do you have a colour preference?

I've been trying to upload a picture on my iPad but it won't let me. Was trying to show you the style I do :(

Xx

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be interested! I think I'm quite picky in what Archie will wear or what will suit him. And haven't found a right collar for him because it's all so generic or too blingy.

Pictures would be great 😊

Oh lovely! As soon as I can figure out how to upload some pics I will. What colours do you lean towards for Archie? I'll have a rummage in my fabric box for you.

Xx

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I've gone and done it. Been pretty busy these last few months and I've opened a Facebook page to start selling my wares. The most exciting thing is my collars and leashes are currently being displayed at Crufts right now as we speak, sold my first set this morning!

Once I have my stock back and build up a good amount I shall be opening the Facebook 'shop', but the page is live now.

Please feel free to pop along and like my page, I'd love to see my fellow chi lovers there: www.facebook.com/titchhandmadedogdesigns

I know a lot of you are in the US - I can deffo post things out to you, I'm going to research the most affordable way to do this.

Exciting times! xx

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well done!! I'm getting my dog sitter to have a look as she's at Crufts all week (lucky!). She will take pics also
I'm following on Facebook! Do you do them with buckles or is it the click ones you only do?
Would like Archie to get use to a lead on a matching collar ready for local shows (charity ones hosted by vets etc so nothing huge!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay! Thank you! I only have side release buckles (where you squeeze the sides) at the moment. Hope you and your sitter like them (how lucky to be up there all week I am jealous!), if there's nothing that takes your fancy there will I'll be starting to put them up to buy on my page over the next few weeks. Thanks so much for the like xx

1 - 20 of 21 Posts