Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a newbie and i do not have a chihuahua, but I'm seriously preparing for one. I'm planning to work over the summer to get money to buy my chi. 8) Can anyone please tell my the average start-up cost for a chi. I really hope to get to know everyone on the board all your help will be most appreciated! :eek: Thank You :wave:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Let's see.. My chi cost $600.

Plus you'll need a crate ($30-70).

Toys - $30

First Round of Shots and Visits - $70

Food - $15

-- I would estimate a little over $800 for start up.. but that doesn't mean anything ecause my chi still manages to drain a whole in my wallet ;) You'll find yourself spending your last dollar on a gift for your chi, believe you, me!

I am over $2000 in debt because of my boy.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Holy Hannah !! That is a pretty price list you gave if I saw that I wold start to cry cause I couldnt afford to get a chi. I think it all depends on where you get your chi from I would check local papers for puppies or maybe look into a shelter or rescue group I know everyone wants a puppy but just think of all those pets in need of a home out there. Anyway I got my chi for FREE he came from my boyfriends dad so he had all his puppy shots & he came with his own blanket. All I had to get was food{ cost depends on where you buy it Im a walmart shopper} bowls & a few toys. I think if you budget correctly & dont buy silly things at first {like clothes there cute but not neccisary, at least not right away] youll have no problem getting a chi. Good Luck & let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wave: WELCOME! :wave:

My Chi was $700 CD (Canadian)

Our trip to get him was around $100+

The toys we got him, including blankets, chews, bed, floor pillows, and pet taxi (that we used as a crate when he was really small), and a number of carries (purses, that we never use :roll: ) came to around $400+

Food, around $60...4 big bags..2 puppy, 2 adult...1 puppy bag we donated to humane cause my Chi had outgrown the food..so we spent that but he didn't eat it and one adult that wasn't healthy enough..according to me :wink:

Each vet visit is around $25 so that's $100 so far...and that is if you find a good cheap vet :wink: otherwise is more.

:D I'm not trying to scare you or anything but you can see that having a Chi or anydog for that matter is not cheap..they are sooo cute and adorable you would wanna buy your puppy the world...especially if you don't have kids yet :D No matter what the cost was and still is I wouldn't trade my puppy for a million bucks :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Hello & welcome It's kind of hard to put a price because the price of chi's can vary so much. My baby was 800.00 but you can find them for less or as someone said maybe even try rescue :wave:

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My little Thumbelina was $350 but she was 3 months when we got her. I agree with IloveTaders. Look into rescue groups and shelters. Sometimes, when you're lucky, you can find a puppy if that's what you want and nothing else. Try www.chihuahuarescue.com they have some cuties right there on that site :).

I also agree with what some of the other girls were saying about there being other expenses with animals of any kind. Budget yourself and save every penny for the spay/neuter, shots, chipping, tags, and anything else that you might be able to think of. I had some real problems with all of that when it came time to get my Lina spayed. Pets are soooo not cheap lol!

And welcome to to the forum. You will learn so much here, I know I have. :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! Rescue dogs are great! Also look into getting an older dog from a breeder (3-6 months) as they are cheaper. FYI Chihuahuarescue.com is based in Burbank, CA and only adopts locally to Southern California since they require in depth home-checks. Here's the average startup cost for a dog in Los Angeles, *bling bling* , it will be different everywhere depending on your location and cost of living.

Puppy: $500-1500

Essentials, bowls, leash, collar, toys, and books: $50

Crate or Gate: $60-100

Food: $20 (you will, like most, try different brands and see what your chi likes best, and find out what is better than most as you go along)

Initial vet visits + vaccines + deworming (8,12,16 weeks): $200 (yes that expensive here)

Emergency Visit: $300+ - although we all pray this won't happen, you must have the funds to be prepared for hypoglycemic shock or trauma cases.

Spay/Neuter: $100-400 (cheaper to neuter)

Microchip: $45

Flea/Heartworm preventatives: $60-80 for 6 months supply

Non-essentials (clothes, blankets, toys, carriers): Unlimited, and ridiculous =)

New socks/underwear to replace the chewed ones: $20

Steam Cleaner: $100

Replacing Carpet after 6 months: $3000

New digital camera to take pictures of New Pup: $500

New computer to navigate c-p.com quickly: $800

Owning and Loving the perfect chi: PRICELESS

Dogs, are like used cars in that they seem like a great deal in the beginning, but they end up being a money pit because you love them so darn much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts