Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
zoey seems to always be hungry!!! we feed her about 1/4c of food (thats the amount the vet told us) everyday-- she probably eats about 3 times a day. should we feed her more?! she's only 2.4 lbs at 3 mos... i feel like she is always looking for food. i dont want to make her fat... maybe i should bump the food up to 1/2c-3/4c a day? i feel like she eats when she's hungry and doesn't when she isnt-- she seems pretty smart....

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Does she need to get more shots at 15 weeks of age? If so I would ask the vet what he/she thinks of Zoeys weight and diet --- basically a good rule of thumb is that you should be able to see a "waist" but not be able to see actual ribs. (It is fine to be able to feel the ribs though). I don't think there is anything wrong with increasing the amount of food you are giving her - Bosco is roughly the same age/weight and he probably eats 1/2 cup a day.

Good luck!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would think of them as babies and toddlers at this point. :shock: I have 3 & 4 month old puppies. I give them all the food they want because they are developing and using a lot of energy to grow. Between the two of them they eat an entire can of dog food per day, given in a morning and evening feeding-plus all of the kibble that they want to nibble on. Sometimes if they act hungrier I will add a little cottage cheese as variety. Once they reach 5 months, I start to taper back to maybe kibble all day with dog food just in the morning...as they get closer to 6 months, when they have reached adult size, I will just be giving kibble, with maybe a treat now and then...I feel that you really need to develop the bones and body now, because it cannot be done at a later date... :wink: :wave:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes zoey is due for another shot at 15 wks....

i think i'm gonna start trying to feed her about 1/2c a day... i feel so bad that she is hungry because i know that she's just a puppy and needs to grow!!! she is pretty slender. i can see her waist and only feel her ribs, but i still feel like she's skinny. we feed her first thing in the morning and she usually eats all that we put down... and then when we see that she's wandering around in the kitchen, we put more down.... i want to always have some crunchy food down for her because i dont want her to have a hypoglycemia attack but everytime i put food down, she eats it all! what a piggy!

thanks for the info!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts