2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you bath your Chi ??
I bath Honey once a week, is this normal
or should I be bathing her more?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I wouldn't bathe her more, no. I personally think once a week is too much, it dries out their skin. I bathe mine once a month, sometimes I go a bit longer depending.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Once a week sounds really excessive to me. Does she smell bad? Shed alot? Just curious as to why you are bathing her so much. Seems it would dry out her coat/skin.

I bathe Brody about every 3 months at the most. I use Paul Mitchell wipes in between and I have a conditioning spray that I use once in awhile, but otherwise he rarely gets a bath.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The vets say to bathe when they are actually soiled
but I bathe Dahlia once a month.She always wraps
around my chin and after a month she gets a little doggy!!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
gosh that seems like a lot. i bathe mine anywhere from one to two months depending on what they've been doing. I use the Paul Mitchell wipes in between to freshen them and a wonderful conditioning spray which is almost like a bath.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I dont bath her weekly she gets smelly! She does tend to shed alot but I think that could be due to our season change right now we are heading into summer. I guess I have a really sensitive nose....
Her skin and coat are in excellent condition. not dry at all and her coat is shiny!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I do monthly baths too. I have a spray cleaner too if i feel she needs it

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I do once a month or so, depending on if they're stinking, if so every other week.

In no way am I being a "Raw advocate here" but I read when I was doing my research on raw that certain kibbles can make them stinky.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I think I might be guilty of overbathing a bit too, I try to wait a month but sometimes its more like 3 weeks between baths. I just love how soft and shiny they are afterward!
If you bathe her that frequently you are stripping the natural oils from her skin and coat, even though her coat looks nice she may start feeling a bit dry and itchy. I have some really yummy smelling doggy body sprays (ok I have several). I really like the tropiclean papaya spray, and the earth bath mango tango one. Mine get freaked out if I spray them, so I spray it on my own hand and then pet them. I usually just use it after their bath, I have both scents in shampoos too, but if she is a little smelly you can use a spray daily.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Laurel stinks too, IDK why. She's been checked for any kind of skin issues and they said she's in the clear, but about 3-4 days after a bath, she wreaks and smells like...dirty earrings.

The others don't stink at all, I bath Bryco before shows, the other two every 1-2 months, or if they get dirty. Or if one is shedding more than I'd prefer, I give them a good scrub down, but never more than once a month-5 weeks.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Dirty earrings. Ah Kristi, you crack me up. :lol:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oh my gosh though, don't we all know exactly what she means by "dirty earrings' I cringed as my ears used to be gauged quite large and this smell caused me to reconsider. Poor Laurel!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Paul Mitchell has pet doggy wipes that are amazing. they smell wonderful and can be used daily. their ads are cute too, they have on all their bottles, cruelty free, tested on humans first. they aren't terribly expensive but boy are they worth it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do once a month or so, depending on if they're stinking, if so every other week.

In no way am I being a "Raw advocate here" but I read when I was doing my research on raw that certain kibbles can make them stinky.
Honey does not have dog food or kibble.
I feed her fresh cooked meat and fresh vegetables :)
She gets raw bones and chicken necks

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul Mitchell has pet doggy wipes that are amazing. they smell wonderful and can be used daily. their ads are cute too, they have on all their bottles, cruelty free, tested on humans first. they aren't terribly expensive but boy are they worth it.
I have never seen this brand
although I am in australia not america!
I might have a look around for a nice cologne
and try to bath every 2 weeks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Honey does not have dog food or kibble.
I feed her fresh cooked meat and fresh vegetables :)
She gets raw bones and chicken necks
That's good, was just putting it out there for anyone who may have a stinky kibble fed pup I came across it a lot when I read about kibbles :] I know Gretel REEEEKED when I fed her Nutro, my goodness.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Laurel stinks too, IDK why. She's been checked for any kind of skin issues and they said she's in the clear, but about 3-4 days after a bath, she wreaks and smells like...dirty earrings.

The others don't stink at all, I bath Bryco before shows, the other two every 1-2 months, or if they get dirty. Or if one is shedding more than I'd prefer, I give them a good scrub down, but never more than once a month-5 weeks.
EWW poor Bryco!
Ok Honey does not smell like dirty earrings but she
gets a doggy smell! It is even worse if I take her to
the beach or if she has been around other dogs!
no way could I stand the smell for more then 2 weeks
especially if she has been around other dogs that make
her smell even worse!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's good, was just putting it out there for anyone who may have a stinky kibble fed pup I came across it a lot when I read about kibbles :] I know Gretel REEEEKED when I fed her Nutro, my goodness.
The only thing that dog food and kibble did for honey
was make her an over weight fatty!
New diet, new honey :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I agree, once a week is a little much. I do once a month normally. But Boss enjoys rolling in goose poop so he seems to get them a few times a month lol. Both of mine get really dry skin if they're bathed too much.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think I'm going to try getting some of these doggy wipes... I've only bathed my girls a couple times since I've had them, actually only once for Roxy. I want to give her a good scrum soon but I'm still waiting until her wound is 100000% secure. Billa was smelling 'doggy' too and after the first day of wet dog smell she smells perfect! Like nothing at all!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts