Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bathe Bruiser about 1 time a month, sometimes less. He is a smooth coat and inside all the time except for walks so he doesn't get dirty. Anyway, I am just curious as to how often other Chi Moms bathe their little ones :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I bathe my pom once a week, but she has a lot of fur, then i usually take her to the groomers once a month for a trim.. Ill probably bathe mousse once a week too bc hes a LC

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I bath mine every 1 to 2 weeks
they get quite dirty because they go on walks to fields where it can be muddy and they go to the beach so they get sand stuck in their fur

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Cor! This is a great thread and helped me loads, I only bath Jake about once a minth thinking anymore than that would reduce the oils in his coat.

Now I can see if he is getting a bit smelly or dirty from the field I can bath him more.

Might stop OH complianing when Jake is a little whiffy lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
We raw feed, so we don't bathe unless absolutely necessary. I think the last time I did it was months and months ago for Betty, a few weeks ago for Goose (but he had poopy on his feet, so it was more of a pawdiure than a bath).

It's kinda weird to me that people wash their dogs as often as 1-2weeks... I wonder, is it a full bath (shampoo and the works?) or just a wipe down with a wet cloth? Washing more than every few months can ruin the oils in their coat... just like over washing our hair ruins those oils. If my dogs were exceptionally dirty often (as in smelly and greasy) I'd look into what I was feeding them and change it. Our old dogs who weren't rawfed were dirty and greasy... it was likely the kibble.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I do once a wek --there about. Never a problem with his coat or skin. If we go to the beach and he has been in sea water or something in the summer he'd get bathed that night too. In the winter it is once a week.

I think it is fast and easy. This doggie is in the house all over the place including the bed--he's got to be clean.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I do once a wek --there about. Never a problem with his coat or skin. If we go to the beach and he has been in sea water or something in the summer he'd get bathed that night too. In the winter it is once a week.

I think it is fast and easy. This doggie is in the house all over the place including the bed--he's got to be clean.
Yeah that's good, and that salt water would dry out his skin and fur.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
my girls stay in most of the time. they dont get real dirty. i've only been washing them between every 3 and 5 months. i think they are due for a bath soon. :) they get their nails cut once amonth but i'm gonna increase that to twice a month.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
We raw feed, so we don't bathe unless absolutely necessary. I think the last time I did it was months and months ago for Betty, a few weeks ago for Goose (but he had poopy on his feet, so it was more of a pawdiure than a bath).

It's kinda weird to me that people wash their dogs as often as 1-2weeks... I wonder, is it a full bath (shampoo and the works?) or just a wipe down with a wet cloth? Washing more than every few months can ruin the oils in their coat... just like over washing our hair ruins those oils. If my dogs were exceptionally dirty often (as in smelly and greasy) I'd look into what I was feeding them and change it. Our old dogs who weren't rawfed were dirty and greasy... it was likely the kibble.
Okay yay I'm not alone. I saw how often everyone was bathing their pups (even the short coats) and I was like :confused:

I've had Schroeder one year and I don't think I've bathed him AT ALL. Even when he was on kibble. Phoebe I've had for a little over a year and a half and she's probably gotten 1 FULL bath. These don't include face wipe downs after getting lovely raw meat stuck to their faces or paw wipe downs, but actual shampoo and water baths - Phoebe 1 Schroeder 0.
IMO neither of their fur smells.

Washing them often will actually create MORE problems and smells then it will do good, as the fur will lose its natural oil and condition. Obviously a dog should never smell like a perfume, they will smell like how a normal clean dog smells, but not "doggy".

Halpert on the other hand, has had 1 bath since living with me (which is going on 6 months now oh wow) and NEEDS another one. He also goes to the dog run frequently and has had a million problems since I've had him so everything wasn't running in tip top shape. He'll probably always be bathed more often then the Chis, but still not once a week! Maybe once every 2-3 months or when needed.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I give baths about every 2 weeks. I don't like smelly doggies, and they seem to get a wee bit smelly if they go longer than that without a bath. It also makes it easier to clip their nails when they are soft from the bath water. =)

I also clean their ears when they get baths...just nice to get it all done and have a little squeaky clean pup!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts