Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked before, but how often does everyone clip their dogs toenails? I take toby to the vet and everytime they say they are not that long but they look really long to me. I know it hurts them when they get to long so I don't want them to get that way.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I clip them whenever they get long. Usually you can tell. If they are clicking on the floor when they walk it's time to clip them.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I clip my chi's toenails whenever I give her a bath, so I'd say once every three to four weeks, but sometimes I have to cut it sooner depending on how long they get. Sometimes they get too long and it gets painful when she jumps on me, so that's another gauge I use too. I don't think you want to let too much time go by in between each toenail cutting session though because that could cause problems potentially.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I try to clip mylos wen i think they are getting long but he always flintches and pulls his paw away!! so i cnt always do them all, but he walks on pavement everyday so that helps keep them down a bit too!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yea me too...I clip them whenever they get crazy long! haha They dont like them getting cut, so I dont try to do it a lot. If they go to the vet for whatever reason, I get the vet to cut them. Especially Ace since he is a puppy.

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
since its easier to keep them short than it is to clip alot off them if they get too long, i clip my guys nails once a week to once every 2 weeks depending on how their looking, if their looking nice and tindy ill use a small e;lectric nail file instead of clipping just to tidy.
my guys do hate their nails clipped though so i switch days. and do each dog on a different day.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i found it hard at first becuase they didnt like the sound , so id just turn it on for a few minutes at first to get them used to it. ive found i dont get nearly as muhc of a fight with the grinder (i use a small dremmel with a fine sanding drum set on low)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yusuke HATES getting his toenails clipped. We do it about every two weeks and he just hates it with everything in his being. He cries and shrieks like he's going to just die if another nail is clipped. However, not once have we ever cut the quick and made him bleed... So I'm not sure what his issue is. Maybe he's just spoiled.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I usually clip Whiskey's once every week or two so they stay nice and short, then they get filed softly so there aren't any rough edges. He hated clipping and filing at first, now he deals with it, and sits still but he lets you know afterward he didn't care one bit for it. He will stay away from me for about five minutes afterward snubbing me I think, lol. Then he's back to his normal self. With every dog it's a little different, some have nails that grow slower or faster than others. Just keep an eye on his nails and whenever they're looking long trim them a little. It's easier like some before me have said if you only have to trim a little, rather than wait until they're really long and have to clip a lot off.

Hope this helps! :D

Dannie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts