Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there's any 'rule of thumb' as to when you change the amount and times you feed a pup ? At the moment (nkey is 5months) I'm feeding him three times a day morning (Mixed dry and wet), lunch (Smal Dry) and Evening (Mixed). What should I change his meal, sizes, times etc ?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Usually you can switch to 2 times a day at 6 months. Cut out the lunch.
My girls eat more in the morning, I guess because they've been sleeping all night.
How much you feed them is going to depend on your dog. When they are still under a year, you want to give them all they want because they are still growing.
By the time they are a year old you should be able to tell how much your dog needs.

Right now I am still free feeding my girls (they have food available to them all the time) because Koke is not a year old yet. When she gets to 1 year, then I will decide whether or not I'm going to continue free feeding.

But you have to understand that they don't always eat the same amounts everyday. Some days they are hungrier than others, depending on what they have been doing, how many treats they have had, if they have had a greenie or other edible chew, etc.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My other chi ate on a schedule and I expected Marcus to be the same but Marcus is a snacker. He like a few bites every little bit. It can take him 3 or 4 hours to finish off his breakfast so as a consequence he's basically a free feeder. It's more learning how your dog operates than it is trying to make them eat our way, LOL.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I leave a bowl of food out all day for my 2 pups..they are about 15 weeks now they tend to eat 3-4 times a day. I am thinking of cutting back the food on them i feel like all I do is pick up doggie poops. ;)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I feeed Gadget canned food in the morning and at night and he has his dry food in his bowl all the time.. he also gets his treats and he loves his popcorn... I give him little pieces of the fluffy part... he sits on my shoulder when I'm lying on the bed.. that is our night time snack.. He might eat the equivalent to about 3 whole pieces of popcorn... Mark has gotten him to take it out of his lips. it is so cute...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts